SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion XT10i focuser upgrade recommendations, please

Tot

Interested to hear what other XT10/XT10i owners have upgraded their focuser to, and how they are finding it. The Orion own low profile dual speed 2" crayford style hybrid looks ok at around £225 although some people mention gaps left after fitting - need to be plugged eg with foam to keep out stray light. As it should be a straight swap over, though, that is good - I'm not going to start drilling my OTA. I like the idea of low profile to help achieve focus when attempting simple AP.

Moonlite focusers seem well liked and there is a vast array of them. But as they are not low profile I'm tempted to go for the Orion instead. Is there likely to be much noticeable difference between the Moonlite and the low profile Orion focuser? Are the Moonlites an easy swap over?

Any comments at all about focusers much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tot

hi and great scope, moonlite are as good as they come and quite a lot better than the orion you mention, baader steel tracks are very good as well and certainly better than your first choice. on the flo web site they should sell the fitting kits to suit your scope and it will be just a case of swapping like for like

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-installation-kit-for-newtonian-focusers.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cr-dual-rate-tri-knob-crayford-focuser-for-newtonians.html

The Moonlites are as low profile as you want them to be.   They come with spacers that allow for different configurations.   I found the website to be confusing the first time but everything is there somewhere.   It was a simple drop in replacement for my XT10 and well worth the investment.   Call Ron at Moonlite for exact info. (oops just realized that might be expensive from where you are)

Eric

hi and great scope, moonlite are as good as they come and quite a lot better than the orion you mention, baader steel tracks are very good as well and certainly better than your first choice. on the flo web site they should sell the fitting kits to suit your scope and it will be just a case of swapping like for like

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-installation-kit-for-newtonian-focusers.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cr-dual-rate-tri-knob-crayford-focuser-for-newtonians.html

Thanks for the advice. I think my choice is between Orion's own and the Moonlite. The more I look into it, though, and seek advice, the more I'm leaning towards the Moonlite. They really do look like a nice bit of kit, very nice engineering. Although originally tempted by the low profile of the Orion I think the money is better spent on a Moonlite. :-)

The Moonlites are as low profile as you want them to be.   They come with spacers that allow for different configurations.   I found the website to be confusing the first time but everything is there somewhere.   It was a simple drop in replacement for my XT10 and well worth the investment.   Call Ron at Moonlite for exact info. (oops just realized that might be expensive from where you are)

Eric

Thanks for the info, good to know. I think I'm pretty much decided on a Moonlite. I'm assuming that a standard 2" tube length one is fine? I agree the website is a bit confusing.

Hi - I went the Lacerta 1:10 upgrade on my 250px. Works beautifully, feels really well engineered - in use it feels as smooth and solid as a feathertouch (!). For only Eu69. Probably the best accessory I purchased :)

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2625_1-10-micro-transmission-for-retrofitment-of-Crayford-focusers.html

Hi - I went the Lacerta 1:10 upgrade on my 250px. Works beautifully, feels really well engineered - in use it feels as smooth and solid as a feathertouch (!). For only Eu69. Probably the best accessory I purchased :)

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2625_1-10-micro-transmission-for-retrofitment-of-Crayford-focusers.html

Nice. I'd not seen these. Now, decisions, decisions. Spend a lot get a great bit of kit (Moonlite) or spend a little, get this upgrade, and have money leftover for other goodies? :-)

feathertouch :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the info, good to know. I think I'm pretty much decided on a Moonlite. I'm assuming that a standard 2" tube length one is fine? I agree the website is a bit confusing.

I got a 2.37" tube length but that was because I needed that travel for binoviewers.    It is best to measure the distance from the tube to the shoulder of your current focuser for each eyepiece at focus to really know the length that you want.

Eric

feathertouch :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I knew that would get a reaction! ;)

I used to wonder about my focusser on my 250px with the Lacerta mod - It was rock solid, smooth and precise. Just how much better could it be? I got a Feathertouch with my 15": fine adjust is very similar in use.

Of course, the FT has compression rings, very well engineered draw tub bearings, and the ep holders are very precisely machined to tight tolerance... But the Lacerta upgrade is truly very good in my humble opinion for what it does: beautiful 1:10 action. It doesn't alter any other aspect of the focusser of course.

For Eu69 it transformed focussing on my 250px. Worth every penny in my book ;) I must have been lucky: my stock focuser with this mod just works really well.

Mind you, the FT is nice...

I got a 2.37" tube length but that was because I needed that travel for binoviewers.    It is best to measure the distance from the tube to the shoulder of your current focuser for each eyepiece at focus to really know the length that you want.

Eric

OK thanks for the tip.  I'll get measuring,  :smiley:

One thing: moonlite/feathertouch will be better if you are going down AP path for handling weightier loads.

Also, I have a couple of 2" eyepieces, one a heavyweight monster. I need a focuser that can handle heavy eyepieces, barlow etc then maybe, eventually, AP gear.  So, another plus point for the Moonlite it would seem.  

Archived