Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jup 9th Feb

Freddie

Great image Freddie some very fine detail showing through. I can count on one hand the number of clear skies coupled with anything like steady seeing that have been available around here this year !! Switching to RGB from osc in the hope of capitalising on any decent nights.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Stuart, I'm still not sure about the ASI but on balance is an improvement on the DMK. It is more sensitive than the DMK in blue which definitely helps as I can keep the exposure down, gain down and the frame rate up. With the 9.25 and the DMK I often had to have 90% gain to get a decent frame rate and then use all the tricks in the book to process out the noise and keep some detail. I think this cam will be a great help with Saturn. What I haven't yet got completely to grips with is the slight "grainy" look to the images it produces compared to the DMK (at least on Jup). I see it a lot in ASI images so I think it is a cam characteristic that takes a bit of processing out. Interestingly DP says in his video that he prefers the DMK to the ASI on Jup. For me with a 9.25, the improved blue frame rate is worth the extra effort to get rid of the "grain". Bigger chip is a big advantage on the moon and also the higher frame rate than the DMK (not an issue on Jup as I can't go much less than 1/60 sec exposure) Not had a chance to try it on my solar set up but there are quite a lot of reports of newton rings, so will be interesting to see how that goes.

Summary, well worth the money, glad I bought it, adjust processing for the grain but don't get carried away by potential frame rates as not all scopes can get enough light to reduce the exposures enough to achieve them.

Archived