Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 1333 - An Interstellar Dust Cloud

iksose7

Finally settled with a version of this image. I've had the data for a couple months, and have been processing/staring at it since xmas and after three or four attempts i decided to be done with it!

I'm not totally satisfied with the result, its definitely the most challenging object i have attempted and the ridiculous about of noise in the image was a pain to deal with, one of the reasons i cant wait to be able to afford a CCD! This is my second image processed with PI since obtaining my license, and i've certainly learned a few things that i will be carrying over to my next image which am about to get stuck into processing tonight.

16087721019_8bc7f84a77_b.jpg

Exposure Details:
113* 600 secs, ISO 800, f7
Total Exposure: 18.8 hours
Scope: Altair Astro 115EDT
Camera: Canon 600Da
Mount: NEQ6

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is superb. Well done.

A.G

PS: I don't know if you have already done this or not but you can gently lift the dark dust by using a very accurate  mask with a good measure of feather ( convolution to soften the mask )  to protect the stars and the very bright areas and then using the Exponential Transformation to lift the dark dust out of the back ground. You have a lot of data there so it give it a try.

Thanks all for looking!

PS: I don't know if you have already done this or not but you can gently lift the dark dust by using a very accurate  mask with a good measure of feather ( convolution to soften the mask )  to protect the stars and the very bright areas and then using the Exponential Transformation to lift the dark dust out of the back ground. You have a lot of data there so it give it a try.

Cheers AG, i will give that a go as i have never played with ET. Though it may be a while, i am sick of the sight of this data!

Callum

Thanks Carole and Barry, PI is much easier to use than people think, so long as you do a bit of reading before hand. Most reject it as they go in expecting Photoshop which it certainly is not, i did a solid day of reading and taking notes to make sure i had a good idea what did what and why before i got stuck in.

Callum

As hard as it gets, this one. Stunning result.

I would maybe consider warming up the palette a little. It strikes me as just a tad cold and this may be costing you the strange ochre yellows sometimes found in 1333.

But, wow, a DSLR 1333 doesn't come along every day and look at that dust!

Olly

Thanks Olly, in one of my previous versions i did have nice rusty colored dust clouds but decided against it as the histogram was not lined up. And any saturation attempts only revealed more noise. I dont think i will be reprocessing this one for a while, dont want to go through that again any time soon! I have a CCD on the way now which will help with noise and i will be imaging more of these dusty targets in the future. I think i may ignore the histogram to a certain extent in the future, going for what looks better rather than what the histogram tells me is correct.

Callum

Thanks Olly, in one of my previous versions i did have nice rusty colored dust clouds but decided against it as the histogram was not lined up. And any saturation attempts only revealed more noise. I dont think i will be reprocessing this one for a while, dont want to go through that again any time soon! I have a CCD on the way now which will help with noise and i will be imaging more of these dusty targets in the future. I think i may ignore the histogram to a certain extent in the future, going for what looks better rather than what the histogram tells me is correct.

Callum

As Dennis once said, 'It isn't the histogram you hang on the wall...' Not a bad point, that.

Enjoy the transition to CCD.

Olly

Archived