Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Padiham

John2503

Hi all, the wife and I are total novices at star gazing

In our late 30,s have always had a bit of an interest in the subject.

I just bought my wife a celestron nexstar slt130 for Christmas with 9mm and 25mm eyepiece

Aware we might have to add and upgrade these at some point

I hope the kit is a good starting point

Keen to get out and view the night sky

Any advice and tips are very welcome

As at the moment we seem to be just muddling along

Living in Lancashire Im hoping there are some good spots to set up

Many thanks for reading and happy new year everyone

Welcome John, and congrats on new scope. Don't hesitate to ask anything, there's always someone only too willing to help. I would thoroughly recommend you download "Stellarium". It's free, and an invaluable aid to finding your way around the night sky.

Good luck and clear skies

Jason

• Like 1

Hi John, and a warm welcome to SGL to both you and your wife! I'm just up the road from you - east of Nelson. That's a nice starter scope you have there, and a great Christmas present!  Although it is a fully automated scope you might want also to download a free planetarium software "Stellarium". This will also give you a realistic view of what you can expect to see through your eyepiece (Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/en_GB). In Padiham you are also lucky in that you are never far from the countryside and some darker skies - especially around Pendle (try the car park at Barley for starters).  I'm sure you are going to have fun with your scope.

Martin

• Like 1

John,

You should be well on your way with that scope.  I have the Celestron 130eq which is essentially the same scope minus the goto mount and was able to find good views of Orion's Nebula from the light-tainted suburbs near Washington, DC.  Happy hunting and hope you find some clear skies.

-TheNewEvax

Maryland, USA

Hi John and welcome to SGL to both you and your wife. Get used to your scope first, before considering such as a Barlow, better quality eye pieces would be a better move, and advice on this placed in the Beginner equipment help and advise section, should bring forth some helpful advice from similar scope owners. Both of you enjoy your journey into the world of Astronomy :)

Many thanks everybody for such a warm welcome

The weather has been a bit grim recently so not had much chance to get out

Have taken some advice to lern the sky at night first and learn to navigate with binoculars. Will be trying this at weekend fingers crossed

And then hopefully on with getting some amazing views

Thanks all again for a warm welcome :)