Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello to the Gurus !

kroy

Hi,

My name is Kartikeya Roy (you can call me Kroy).

I am very new to star gazing and very keen on astrophotography...started with moon with my Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ (amazing scope and amazing views of moon) but returned it for refund within a month as I was looking for more.

I have now bought a second hand Skywatcher 200 PDS on EQ5 Pro mount with Synscan.

I know people like to learn the sky and do not favour GOTO telescopes -  but in little time I have I want to see and enjoy (and take pictures) more than just searching for what I want to see in the sky.

I also have a Canon DSLR 550D which I am planning to use for this. (Hope its capable of clicking some great pics).

However good I become I will alway require help and guidance from you all - The Gurus !!

Quick Question though:

Is it mandatory to have a power tank with my scope - Can't I just plug it in the mains of my house/garden ??

How does a laser pointer helps ??? Do I need to have it with Goto telescopes ??

Happy gazing !! Looking for a great day now !!

- KRoy

Put the guru's into suspended animation, they said not to wake them until the next centenial new year, something about wanting lots of beer at the next one as well. You will just have to put up with the rest of us.

You will need power for the scope either a power pack or as you say from mains through a converter, check maplins. They have a number.

Make sure the polarity is correct and the voltage. Skywatchers are not well protected against over voltage or reverse polarity.

Welcome to Star Gazers Lounge Kroy all the way from Bulgaria. You will need a transformer if you use mains supply, I prefer that way myself as the mounts are a bit power hungry and lack of power will cause problems, at least it did with my mount like yours.

I do have a power tank that is now 3 years old and it seems less problems with the new AZ HQ 6 than with the HEQ 5 Pro. I guess transfromers are about 40-50 quid in the UK so less than a Tank system but you will of course need a power socket within a mile.

Welcome Kroy :)

GOTO is nothing to be ashamed of, I wouldn't do astrophotography without it :)

The bench transformers from Maplins have enough amps output to power your mount, and some dew straps too, and also any other accessories which you will find you need as you progress.

Either this one for a basic mount on its own:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

or I use a couple of the xm19 transformers that I just cant quite find atm.

Hope your astrophotography takes off, and look forward to the results :)

Tim

Hi Kroy and welcome to SGL, don`t concern yourself about goto, it is purely a personal choice. Laser pointers are useful for pointing out targets in the night sky, but I am not sure what benefit it would have using it with goto, unless you mounted it and aligned it with your scope, so you could see what part of the sky your scope was actually pointing at, once goto it had reached its mark :)

Archived