Just to say Hello

jcastro

Hi,

I've just joined SGL. I live in a dark site rural location in the Fens near wisbech in Cambridgeshire England. I have an 8" Meade LX90 and have been an active amateur astronomer for over 50 years. My new interest is in Astrophotography, about which I know very little but am ready to learn the secrets of the "Dark Art".

My first question is where do I start!!

Hi and welcome to SGL! If you are wanting to take images of DSO's then you could do a lot worse than buy a copy of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available in the book section of the FLO website. It's a bit of an imagers bible and deserves to be read a number of times before a purchase is made. Do you have a budget in mind?

Have a look in the imaging section and look at the sorts of images that you aspire to achieve. People will list the kit that they used to capture the data which will give you a good starting point.

Hope that helps and enjoy your time here - Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. You've clearly been seduced over to the darkside so you'll realise there's no turning back!  :grin:  :grin:  My suggestion as to where to start would be to purchase Steve Rochards "Making Every Photon Count" which is a comprehensive guide on what kit you need and why you need it to perform the different types of imaging that will also enable you to produce good consistent results. It's modestly priced and with its comprehensive overview it will certainly help you avoid buying the wrong kit. We don't want your image of a black hole being the one in your wallet!  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies

Hi Jcastro and welcome to SGL, as a start, apart from obtaining the recommended book, you will need to dwell among the imaging sections for advice into the black art, as I am sure you will have many questions to ask, enjoy :) 

Archived