Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Being a proper astronomer

Siriusmeg

I am in the process of starting Astro Club at my school for the Winter season and I always ask the children (primary school) to write a letter to apply - this means I get the interested ones who are prepared to take part.  I loved this definition of being a proper astronomer   :grin:   Excuse the spelling - you will get the point.  

post-19332-0-77977900-1413393429.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think sitting in a meadow eating Jaffa's and drinking hot Ribena is the correct response many of out adult woes!

Someone remind me; why do we need to grow up? :)

It was a reference to last year's Astro club  - we went out to do some Moon observing but it clouded over...what do you do with 12 kids & nothing to see?  Jaffa cakes & hot ribena went down well.  Sounds like many of my planned observing nights  :smiley:

Up to Year 6 - it's a very small village primary so we are very lucky to have relatively dark skies in the village.  The children are so keen - I have to restrict numbers to 12 in the club as I don't have the equipment or help to supervise any more - but I have already had 10 letters of application on the first day!  It's a great club to run   :grin:

Absolutely fantastic! Please can you come and teach in our village school? Cambridgeshire is lovely and the rumours about people in the Fens having webbed feet are largely exaggerated. My little boy would love to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a cracking drawing, bottom left, the participants enjoying their Jaffa cakes and Ribena, the moon obscured by clouds, and something mysterious radiating from the top of the telescope. Terrific.

Darn, now I have to find out what is "Jaffa cakes" and eat it.

Very cute letter indeed :) Kudos to you on taking the time to run an astro club :)

ha ! quick search and I am happy to say that I am a proper astronomer. I've eaten (a lot) of Jaffa cakes before, we just call them Pim's here ;)

Oh no, what a shame!!   Good on you for running the club though - keep trying.  Maybe offer more jaffa cakes   :grin:

We do lots of food-related stuff - Moon phases using Oreo cookies & white icing   :smiley:   And our personal favourite - marshmallow spacemen in a syringe so you can suck out all the air and simulate a (near) vacuum - the marshmallow inflates alarmingly!!  My colleague came back from a stargazing event in Surrey with that one  :grin:

Nice one Sarah, maybe I could help out sometime especially if there’s Jaffa cakes :)

Mel

That would be brilliant Mel - going to get the group down at some stage too.  There's always food of some sort (I need it to keep me going on a Friday afternoon!) - see post above  :grin:

Archived