Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Being a proper astronomer

Siriusmeg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in the process of starting Astro Club at my school for the Winter season and I always ask the children (primary school) to write a letter to apply - this means I get the interested ones who are prepared to take part. I loved this definition of being a proper astronomer :grin: Excuse the spelling - you will get the point.

scan (Medium).jpg

this is a lovely idea and one that I hope you don't mind me unashamedly stealing for my own y5 club?

Quite brilliant. It seems ealry school learning has changed dramatically from when i attended. Wow if we had had teachers like you and physics experiments involving cookies im sure i would be PHD certified now. Oh and a real scope to gander the heavens wow. Also what stonking handwritting and attention to detail, theres a child engrossed in her subject.

Nice one Sarah, maybe I could help out sometime especially if there’s Jaffa cakes :)

Mel

Me too, Sarah. Give me a shout.

That letter is adorable. You're doing brilliantly. Maybe there's a Patrick or Patricia Moore in your class yet to be discovered - even a new Einstein/ette! Keep up the good work!

Alexxx

Heather Couper, when she was a small girl, sent a letter to Patrick Moore asking him if being a girl was not detrimental to a career in astronomy. He replied, assuring her that being a girl was no handicap at all if one wants to be an astronomer. She became one, of course.

Patrick Moore was a big influence to me as well. I'm so happy that people like you, Siriusmeg, carry the flag and inspire young children to look around and study the world.

Just so there is no ambiguity within the SGL fraternity I would like to point out that these post-26735-0-47202000-1413647482.jpgare Jaffa cakes.

I know we look at things some times and argue over what we may have seen, was it this comet, did I see this asterism etc, so I want to stamp this one out so as not to spoil the OP's thread. Oh wait  :grin:

Steve

With all this cloud, I think we've all gone into the field to look at something and ended up drinking and eating instead!

So to be a proper astronomer you really do need to be outstanding in your field.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Jaffa cakes.

Archived