Hello from Amstelveen, Netherlands

DigitalHeMan

Hi All,

Just joined the forum, and am completely new to the hobby of Astronomy. Still orienting myself and learning a lot from the forum. I want to expand my photographic hobby into the area of astro photography, and am investigating the best way to achieve this. I'm sure many questions will follow.... :)

Simon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. A good start in astrophotography would be to get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' book, "Making Ever Photon Count". It's a comprehensive guide to take you through all the processes and the different types of kit to ensure you are able to produce good consistent images. Imaging doesn't have to be expensive and this book will certainly help you avoid buying the wrong kit. We wouldn't want your first image of a black hole being the one in your wallet!

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the lounge. I would advise you to try and find a local astro group. Having a look at what's on offer can be a great help when starting out and looking through a few different telescopes can help a lot. If you don't really fancy that then just buy the most expensive scope you can afford and try to work it out as you go along. I would imagine that's how most people really get started, myself included. 

Hoi Simon, welkom in de lounge.

Pay a few visits  to Ganymedes in Amstelveen and Robtics in den Haag. See what's available and ask lots of questions here before you buy. I like to buy from brick and mortar stores. The vendors get to know you after a while, and you meet lots of other amateurs.

Groeten uit Leiden.

Hoi Simon, welkom in de lounge.

Pay a few visits to Ganymedes in Amstelveen and Robtics in den Haag. See what's available and ask lots of questions here before you buy. I like to buy from brick and mortar stores. The vendors get to know you after a while, and you meet lots of other amateurs.

Groeten uit Leiden.

Ruud,

I live only a couple of minutes walk from Ganymede so have visited them a couple of times. Unfortunately I got the impression that they weren't really interested in selling me anything unless it was from Celestron as they are the distributors and are very biased towards them. I have noted a very wide selection though at Robtics, so will take both vendors into consideration when I am ready to purchase.

Archived