Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Let's see your 1st DSOs

MartinB

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Yes. It was incredibly difficult for plate film photographers to manage the dynamic range of M42.

Olly

And as you can see, I already bought Astrodon filter, and I don't know why, I got nicer results with my Astrodon filter last year than my Optolong Ha filter in filter wheel this year, and this one exactly why I kept going into DSO and I will never give up even it is under red zone light pollution sky, and this is another reason I want to buy a TAK, so I never give up later at all after so much spending ;) 

If you want, I can post same this target again here but I can call it "My first ever LRGB of M42", so is that counted too or only first ever at all? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 20:26, ollypenrice said:

Within my own lifetime this would probably have been the best M42 ever taken. AP has made pretty incredible progress.

Olly

So true.  One must have huge respect for amateurs who took good astrophotos on film.

My first image was taken with a 35mm SLR.  It took over a week to get the developed photos back.  It was a photo of Saturn, however I had no idea about image scale, FOV or focal length.   These days, if I can get my stars that small I am pleased!

I immediately bought one of those modern Digital SLRs and was able to learn about my mistakes much more quickly.

21 minutes ago, don4l said:

So true.  One must have huge respect for amateurs who took good astrophotos on film.

My first image was taken with a 35mm SLR.  It took over a week to get the developed photos back.  It was a photo of Saturn, however I had no idea about image scale, FOV or focal length.   These days, if I can get my stars that small I am pleased!

I immediately bought one of those modern Digital SLRs and was able to learn about my mistakes much more quickly.

Not only the dynamic range issue, but betting the target in the FOV at all!  Without goto and computers, shooting a nebula or galaxy was a shot in the dark.  So you have issues with framing, dynamic range, and a huge issue with focus--no focus mode to check focus.   That's why many astrophotographers had their own dark rooms--so they could run up to the house and within 20 min or so know if they had the target framed, or if they were in focus.  Using a 24 hour development service is almost undoable.  And when I was first interested in this (1972), I thought all I needed was an adapter to connect the camera with the scope!  How wrong was I?  I did not dip my toe until the modern day, which makes me appreciate the troubles I COULD of had.  The ones I DO have are bad enough!

Rodd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My first, and only, two.

M31 (20x30s lights, 1600iso) a month ago, and M45 (16x180s lights, 1600iso) a few days ago.

My scope is 900mm with a .85x reducer/flattener, so M31 is mostly core, but the Pleiades fit very nicely.

No flats, biases or darks, both worked somewhat in DeepSkyStacker, and the Pleiades falsely coloured in a Microsoft photo editor, because my wife says I don't get Adobe PhotoshopCC until Christmas!

I did a lot of preliminary groundwork before attempting anything, and I'm very proud of them.

Untitled M31 refit 11 3 (2).png

M45 12-07-18.jpg

Edited by Seanelly
syntax
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My first M82 with my new HEQ5 Pro RBM after many frustrating attempts and threats to sell the lot

Finally managed to polar align with polemaster 

Telescope is Startravel 120 with OVL field flattener and Astronomiser modded EOS 450d

with CLS CCD filter

30 x 1 minute subs DST cropped  

I have tried to removed artefacts 

M82.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikemabel said:

My first M82 with my new HEQ5 Pro RBM after many frustrating attempts and threats to sell the lot

Finally managed to polar align with polemaster 

Telescope is Startravel 120 with OVL field flattener and Astronomiser modded EOS 450d

with CLS CCD filter

30 x 1 minute subs DST cropped  

I have tried to removed artefacts 

M82.jpg

Pretty nice.  I went through similar frustrations with my first mount-the Ioptron eiq45. It was polar alignment that did cause me to return it. I did not have a pole master-that may have allowed me to keep it.  Polar alignment from ones knees (or lower) with a straight through pa scope is just not desirable.  I am glad you over cane that difficulty.

Rodd

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first from last night of Sirius, just a single shot with a Canon 600D and the Skywatcher 127. I think the ISO was 1600 and the shutter speed about 20 seconds. Looks to be slightly too long due to the trails. No processing either but it was taken with a 90 degree mirror so the image is flipped. Although it was being tracked with a GTI AZ mount, I think I also had a few alignment issues as it kept drifting out of centre. Surprised the camera could focus to be honest.

IMG_6999.JPG

Edited by rob_r

A few days ago I gave up on Mercury and let it get darker. Turned to Orion nebula with my 8" dob, Canon SL1 prime focus. 

Had to go high ISO and even 1 second exposure I see some stretching in the stars.

No processing.

_MG_2868- Orion labeled.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, philthy said:

My first DSO taken at the Spring Galloway Starcamp 27/02/2019. 60 x 60sec exp, ISO 800, Canon 1100d, SW ED80 DS Pro C49-Galloway-20190227_PS.thumb.jpg.01a49765e5039db72f4d1d22cbff6af5.jpg

Only 1 hour of 60 sec subs..well framed, guided and processed. I'd say you are off to a great start!

Rodd

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first DS Image taken with an umodified 1100D 150 x 30 sec lights frames with flats and darks. Stacked in DSS and processed with startools.

FirstM42Capture.PNG

Edited by Knev
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Begining of 2016, my first DS image after a stop of several years in astronomy with only pictures of moon and planets.

spacer.png

Celestron 6SE with Canon 7D

and here Moon in 2001 ? with webcam and unnamed telescope...

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carballada said:

Begining of 2016, my first DS image after a stop of several years in astronomy with only pictures of moon and planets.

That's a great first DS image.   Reduce the core a bit and it is perfect--almost like looking through an eyepiece with super sensitive eyes.

Rodd

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Jamesseddon85 said:

My First attempt. WO Z73 with Altair 183m PROTEC.

10x30s + 3x180s. 

Luminance only

Dont leave us in suspense...what is it?  The keyhole nebula?  

Rodd