Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

MartinB

Let's see your 1st DSOs

57 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I remember when I finally, after many frustrating long hours, figured out how to take a sub it was of M31 and when the sub appeared on my screen (an auto stretch), I hooped and hollered in my back yard before running into the house to show what I had done.  I knew at that time that the boat had pulled away from the pier, and I was aboard, for good or ill.

Rodd

Yeah, I remember that feeling well.....

It's worth remembering that ANY image of a DSO is an achievement 🙂

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well said

Rodd

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Very true, not the easiest hobby to get into....

37 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Very true, not the easiest hobby to get into....

And even harder to get out of!

Rodd

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

And even harder to get out of!

Rodd

true that...

Posted (edited)

My very first DSO (I don't count a couple of wide field  images taken with a film camera then digitised to remove sky glow) was taken with a Quickcam Grayscale webcam afocal on a C8.  Everybody's favourite, NGC 457 - the 'Space Invader' cluster August 2000.  Then I made an adapter and went to prime (cassegrain) focus, M15 and M57.  First galaxy was M31 with a 58 mm camera lens, then M51 afocally on an LX90.  First colour photo was M57 prime focus of the LX90 with a modded Vesta Pro webcam in 2001.

How things have moved on!  My latest NGC457 was taken in 2014 with a QSI683 on my 10" RC Truss.

Cheers,

Peter

Early images.jpg

NGC457.jpg

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 4

Here are my second attempt at DSO. Taken with Sony A7s, Vixen Polaris, Takumar 200mm at F5.6 185 subs (45 mins integration) 15s ISO 3200. I forgot the dark frames so after stacking there are a few dead pixel that show some  red lines on the final photos :(  

Autosave_ABE_ABE-2.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Minhlead said:

Here are my second attempt at DSO. Taken with Sony A7s, Vixen Polaris, Takumar 200mm at F5.6 185 subs (45 mins integration) 15s ISO 3200. I forgot the dark frames so after stacking there are a few dead pixel that show some  red lines on the final photos :(  

Autosave_ABE_ABE-2.jpg

... very busy and dense with stuff.... love it.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 22:36, petevasey said:

My very first DSO (I don't count a couple of wide field  images taken with a film camera then digitised to remove sky glow) was taken with a Quickcam Grayscale webcam afocal on a C8.  Everybody's favourite, NGC 457 - the 'Space Invader' cluster August 2000.  Then I made an adapter and went to prime (cassegrain) focus, M15 and M57.  First galaxy was M31 with a 58 mm camera lens, then M51 afocally on an LX90.  First colour photo was M57 prime focus of the LX90 with a modded Vesta Pro webcam in 2001.

How things have moved on!  My latest NGC457 was taken in 2014 with a QSI683 on my 10" RC Truss.

Cheers,

Peter

Early images.jpg

NGC457.jpg

Awesome collection...

8 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

... very busy and dense with stuff.... love it.

Thanks!