SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Let's see your 1st DSOs

MartinB

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

looks like the core of M42 to me Rod....

I was referring to Jamessedon85's image--the first one.--but now that your mention it, that is what it is.  I must have had a "bad eye day"

Rodd

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

I was referring to Jamessedon85's image--the first one.--but now that your mention it, that is what it is.  I must have had a "bad eye day"

Rodd

Rodd

To be fair to Rodd, my first image was a bit rubbish, when I reprocessed it I kept the central portion a bit more natural. I think it was where I blended a shorter exposure for the highlights with a longer one for the nebulosity.

6 minutes ago, Jamesseddon85 said:

To be fair to Rodd, my first image was a bit rubbish, when I reprocessed it I kept the central portion a bit more natural. I think it was where I blended a shorter exposure for the highlights with a longer one for the nebulosity.

That can be tricky.  
Rodd

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

This is my first DSO, taken in January with my Canon 1000dm and 12inch f4 newt 

Pretty good.  Its funny, many folks choose M42 to image first....maybe that is one reason there is a reputation for a really steep learning curve in AP--its one of the most difficult targets to get right!  And for the first go, a almost impossible.  You have done well.  You had a bit of a guiding problem-but I did not notice it for quite some time.  How do you limke the 12" newt? (another tough one to get started.).

Rodd

18 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Pretty good.  Its funny, many folks choose M42 to image first....maybe that is one reason there is a reputation for a really steep learning curve in AP--its one of the most difficult targets to get right!  And for the first go, a almost impossible.  You have done well.  You had a bit of a guiding problem-but I did not notice it for quite some time.  How do you limke the 12" newt? (another tough one to get started.).

Rodd

Yeah, seems bright and big but took me ages to process and lot's of looking at YouTube instructions,  lol. I know it's far from brilliant but a start. Yes guiding not perfect not aligned with pole star correctly and unguided sub's. I love the newt but a steep learning curve to be honest with that and getting the mount right, Neq6. All equipment is second hand, lol. 

5 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

steep learning curve to be honest with that and getting the mount right, Neq6. All equipment is second hand, lol.

Several steep learning curves!  If its unguided then you did quite well the first time out.  Keep at it and you will get great satisfaction in having overcome the steep climbs.  I'd say you are right at the edge of weight for the mount (not sure of your whole setup--but I think the mount is rated for 18kg or so).    Not sure about that mount but often you take half for imaging.  Make sure you balance the system well ans get as good PA as you can.  Fortunately you are shooting at a fast focal ratio and not an overly long focal length.

Rodd

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FernandoPeci said:

11 frames, 300 s, ISO1600, Canon 1100D, 200/1000 PDS

Another good example from a DSLR.  Very natural looking.  More data would make this image first class.

Rodd

• Like 1

My first DSO was also M13

This was about a month ago. 

SkyRover 60ED f6 Apo + field flattener + Optolong moon filter. EQ3 goto mount. Nikon D7000 unmod. ~20 x 30" ISO400. 

Tracking, non guiding

Used DSS and Gimp to make the final image. 

FB_IMG_1555391370951.jpg

• Like 3

This was my first DSO image, I don't really do it anymore due to not having the time or dark skies (or money!)

The heart and soul nebs and double cluster. Shot with 50mm f1.8 on modded 700D on star adventurer.

583e90bb10585_DCHeartandSoul-16bit.thumb.jpg.b665c96952bd52cdd746b79ddf7fab85.jpg

• Like 3

This was the first image/stack of Andromeda taken over a couple of nights last year, I believe it was about 1hr 45m altogether at various ISO and exposure.

William Optics z61, Canon 1300d, Star Adventurer, no guiding. Lots of thrown away subs, but I had fun😂

Autosave015BBBBBB.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rodd said:

No way...that is you first image?  You are bound for greatness!

Rodd

Indeed it was Rodd my first image, I've only managed to get two astro images on the star adventurer, Orion being the second. There was a lot of research before capture and that still continues!

It could always be better though 👍

Edited by hennyvenom

That's a very nice image. Great for a first DSO.

You might want to fiddle with the colour balance slightly to make it less blue and bring out the yellower core. I think the background has a slight blue cast too, but it may be my monitor.

These were my first attempts last august after getting my scope.  M92 is a single-shot 30-sec exposure at ISO 3200, my first attempt at taking a picture through my scope.  Could hardly contain my excitement when the unmistakable globular cluster form appeared on the small screen on the camera 😃

M27 is my first attempt at stacking photos; 28 30-sec subs at ISO 1600.  Red is quite faint on the shots, so had to draw a mask around the nebula and increase red, to bring it out.  Image has been cropped.  Intend to return to it this year and get more subs.

Skywatcher 200PDS, HEQ5Pro, Nikon D7000 unmodded.

M92 50%.jpg

M27a Crop.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

@MarsG76 My early 'works' were no better! Not sure if I shared this (claimed to be the North America Nebula) before:

1993944802_NorthAmerica3.thumb.jpg.b88dfa63aaa76cf4d6d688f2bde4d433.jpg

We all started somewhere.. but do you remember how proud you were of your first image?

I remember that I was as proud as punch of my first shots, even though they were as mediocre as can be comparing to the slight imaging improvement we have today.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

We all started somewhere.. but do you remember how proud you were of your first image?

I remember when I finally, after many frustrating long hours, figured out how to take a sub it was of M31 and when the sub appeared on my screen (an auto stretch), I hooped and hollered in my back yard before running into the house to show what I had done.  I knew at that time that the boat had pulled away from the pier, and I was aboard, for good or ill.

Rodd

• Like 4