Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

MartinB

Let's see your 1st DSOs

I had been working quite a bit on a barndoor tracker, and finally it was time for testing. I remembered some wise words saying what counts is three things:  dark sky, dark sky and dark sky. So I went out of the city and polar aligned (sort of),  put my standard dslr and a 300 mm zoom lens on the tracker and managed to find M42. This is the least catastrophic of the 4 sec exposures I took. Then I was hooked... 

Ragnar

orion.thumb.jpg.a3caf08ad97740c833347a4e7af8de60.jpg

• Like 3

Well done!  Nothing quite beats the kick you get from the first succesful deep sky image!

But ' Then I was hooked ' :  Start saving 😉

Cheers,

Peter

• Thanks 1

Posted in a thread I started but thought I’d post here too. M31 Andromeda. So, so pleased with my first effort with the 72ED, what a great bit of kit that is! Been so frustrated for so long using a cheap DSLR lens and not getting great results but that is now a thing of the past! Goodbye money!

7BB783E1-6DD2-4937-A00C-9D2D46502D70.jpeg

• Like 2

M42.thumb.jpg.380f142b75781b9f44d7030c940f2206.jpg

Borrowed a camera from work for the weekend and mounted on my EQ5GT mount. Polar alignment was rubbish because I was rushing.

This was my first time using anything like deep sky stacker, and the first time I've taken a photo of the sky. I was fairly impressed with the results, although I didn't seem to get the flat files right, so I didn't use them - 100 lights, 50 bias and 50 darks.

Sony A9II with a 200-600 f5.6-6.3 lens set at the long end. ISO800, Shutter speed of six seconds.

• Like 1

My first attempt, taken on the 6th Feb, the first night I got my new mount up and running, the first time I managed to photograph a DSO. I only managed 10x120s subs before the clouds came over. My girlfriends Canon 1000D, my old (I've had it at least 20 years) Orion Optics Europa 150 f/5. I was unable to focus the camera in prime focus setup, so I was using eyepiece projection with a 38mm ep. M42 was only about 30 degrees above the horizon, bortle 6 skies according to the map I've found, and it was quite close to a very bright moon. My first attempts at processing were horrible, this isn't much better, but I did finally persuade ASTAP to stack 8 out of the 10 subs. I've never done any photo processing before, so it's all a learning curve. I didn't take any darks that evening, but I took some a few days later sat in my lounge, much warmer camera, but it did make a bit of a difference. Next time I'll know to take darks at least.

I've changed the setup now so I have the end from an old barlow lense on a shorter nosepiece for the DSLR, just got to wait for some clear skies now to see what I can manage.

M42.thumb.jpg.780745e0ce0728c1d4865e12ad956df4.jpg

Edited by Endolf
  • Like 2

On 19/02/2020 at 02:45, Endolf said:

My first attempt, taken on the 6th Feb, the first night I got my new mount up and running, the first time I managed to photograph a DSO. I only managed 10x120s subs before the clouds came over. My girlfriends Canon 1000D, my old (I've had it at least 20 years) Orion Optics Europa 150 f/5. I was unable to focus the camera in prime focus setup, so I was using eyepiece projection with a 38mm ep. M42 was only about 30 degrees above the horizon, bortle 6 skies according to the map I've found, and it was quite close to a very bright moon. My first attempts at processing were horrible, this isn't much better, but I did finally persuade ASTAP to stack 8 out of the 10 subs. I've never done any photo processing before, so it's all a learning curve. I didn't take any darks that evening, but I took some a few days later sat in my lounge, much warmer camera, but it did make a bit of a difference. Next time I'll know to take darks at least.

I've changed the setup now so I have the end from an old barlow lense on a shorter nosepiece for the DSLR, just got to wait for some clear skies now to see what I can manage.

M42.thumb.jpg.780745e0ce0728c1d4865e12ad956df4.jpg

Awesome.. reminds me of what my 1st M42 look like...

• Like 1

I just had my first attempt at m42 this evening. The histogram looks like I blew out the image a little bit but it came out ok with a quick bit of processing.

I will look for a good tutorial of processing the nebula at the weekend... might get a little bit more out of it before I can try and shoot it again.

2020-02-20_10-45-35.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Lancebloke said:

I just had my first attempt at m42 this evening. The histogram looks like I blew out the image a little bit but it came out ok with a quick bit of processing.

But to compensate you got plenty of the faint stuff. Tip, when doing M42, get the main data, then quickly take 20-30 images each a 10 seconds long. That's plenty to give you a 'trapezium' layer to blend in.

Managed to get some more colour in the image. Learning the whole processing thing but more luck than judgement at the moment. 

I will try and get both the colour and the detail/nebulosity when I get a few hours tomorrow. 

2020-02-21_07-45-29.jpg

Well... final process below. Think that is about as good as I can get it.

2020-02-22_09-26-40.jpg

Edited by Lancebloke
  • Like 1