Narrowband

Let's see your 1st DSOs

MartinB

My first post here was my first stack, not quite what this thread is about.  So

Here's my very first DSO,  taken about a year ago,  I was chuffed to bits with this.

Snapped with my first scope 200p dob and dslr.

Cheers 

Nige.

12390873_718652344937847_4085765411083377186_n.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first DSO  M42 Orion Nebula

http://astrob.in/276679/0/

This was a stack of 6 30sec exposures stacked with DSS and then processed in Photoshop to stretch the histogram... still need to work at it as you can see.

Going to retry tonight using the Bahtinov Focus mask I built (for better focus) and a stack of at least 40 shorter exposures  along with a bunch of dark and bias frames....we'll see what happens

• 1 month later...

Was the first rainless/cloudless nite in about a month here, and temperature was up to a balmy 40° F , so just had to take the scope out.

Considering back in the 60's, when I was an avid amateur astronomer and spent countless hours trying to photograph this object without any luck, I was pretty happy.

But, know this needs a lot of improving.  Registax and DSS make my head spin.  Really need to find some step by step "stacking for dummies" tutorial.  Not that I am a dummy, cause im not...im just getting very old I guess.

Vintage c8 at prime w/.5 focal reducer.  30sec @ 1600 iso.  Canon 350d.  Seeing conditions: fairly good sky, but light pollution an issue.  Exposures longer than 60sec get very washed out.

One of 10 images.

IMG_0629.JPG

But when I stacked using DSS, I got this.

m42.jpg

Can anyone tell me why I lost the "dark sky" background?

• Like 2

Nice image for a first one :)

Did you process after stacking ?

DSS is great for stacking but not for processing, & Registax is great for planets but not very good for deep sky objects.

StarTools or Photoshop are good for processing.

Startools being only about $ 35. but you can use it for free, just can't save images with trial version but you get an idea of whats happening. After processing with Startools you can screen grab and save your image that way.

Good luck.

Nige.

11 hours ago, pete98 said:

Was the first rainless/cloudless nite in about a month here, and temperature was up to a balmy 40° F , so just had to take the scope out.

Considering back in the 60's, when I was an avid amateur astronomer and spent countless hours trying to photograph this object without any luck, I was pretty happy.

But, know this needs a lot of improving.  Registax and DSS make my head spin.  Really need to find some step by step "stacking for dummies" tutorial.  Not that I am a dummy, cause im not...im just getting very old I guess.

Vintage c8 at prime w/.5 focal reducer.  30sec @ 1600 iso.  Canon 350d.  Seeing conditions: fairly good sky, but light pollution an issue.  Exposures longer than 60sec get very washed out.

One of 10 images.

IMG_0629.JPG

But when I stacked using DSS, I got this.

m42.jpg

Can anyone tell me why I lost the "dark sky" background?

That's a lovely start,  you can see you are getting more details. Export as a tiff and open it up in photoshop or gimp and reset the dark point in levels and you will get the dark sky back.  Then it's time to play with curves..... Just tinker with it and it will start coming together 

****edit**** just re read that and thought I could make it easier. 

In deep sky stacker,  on the left hand side you will see save image as.  Save it as a 16bit tiff file to desktop or where ever.  Open up your photo editing software. In photoshop press control L to open up levels.  Now more the left hand triangle under the histogram to the right until it nearly points to the start of the curve. Click OK. Now the sky should be black. If you repeat this you can get a bit closer to the start of the curve. You have to be careful because you  can make the sky too black (clipped you will hear it called) if you point the triangle too far into the start of the curve. 

Hope this wasn't patronizing but I know it took me a while to learn the vocabulary which surrounds this

Edited by Stinky_Pete
More/better info

I'm a bit embarrassed about my first DSO. It was a week or so ago. Using my SW 200P with a Canon 1000D on the Orion nebula. Kept the 30" and on ISO400 and got massive amounts of hot pixels.  I didn't even shoot dark shots. Just pure light shots. I stacked about 30 images in deep sky stacker and it came out okay. I need to work on focusing. Any advice on focusing when your camera can't do live view on the LCD and only through the viewfinder?

Just waiting on the next clear night to redeem myself and try out my new techniques. The end image does look dark but I've literally done no processing to it other than stacking. Any changes go off the scale in PS, so I'm leaving it as it is. The White balance wasn't taken into account but it will be next session! 

Cheers!

Tom

Iso400.thumb.png.4ef2e1a0ef1eed09f2b4d72120c42040.png

Edited by PESKYWAABBIT
  • Like 1

Wow, just the "save as 16bit tiff" in DSS did wonders.  This is the stacked picture.

m42 test.jpg

Opened that up in Photoshop, and if I understand you right, the triangle on the left is pretty much already at the beginning of the curve.  If I move it at all to the right, the sky gets darker, but the nebulosity starts to disappear.

m42 photoshop.jpg

But at the moment, I am pretty happy with what I have. 

Nigel, I will take your advice and get Star Tools.

Really appreciate the help guys.

• Like 2

First attempt at any DSO was this last week when I finally got my Nikon D5300 after saving up a bit. Really pleased with what I was able to accomplish for a first image, and even more ecstatic considering I shot it from my apartment balcony in an Atlanta, GA suburb. Hoping to get further away from the city one weekend when it's not cloudy. Feel free to critique! 

Nikon D5300 & Celestron 102mm refractor. 120x15s at 100 ISO w/ 60 darks

M42_15s_100iso_20170124-20170201.jpg

• Like 4

My very first DSO Image! M42 Orion Nebula!

Meade LX70-R8" Refletor
ASI 224-MC
Baader Filter UV/IR CUT-L
Firecapture 2.4
Editado com Photo Filtre e Registax 6.

f57f84d8567f46d015347166f6445247.1824x0_

Edited by Brenner
  • Like 4

OK here's my first attempt. Everyone seems to go for M42 at first, in my case its the most accessible in a particular spot outside the back door of the house. There's some trailing because I didn't get the polar alignment right. Celestron C5, EQ5, Canon 550D ISO1600 1 exposure of 30 secs. Twiddled in Registax wavelets.

_MG_7790 Wavelets.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

My first DSO from the 18th Feb 2017...Yes last week!!!

Orion Nebula on a 200P/EQ5 using an unmodified SPC900NC webcam. 400 shorts stacked in Registax and colours fiddled with using GIMP.

There was some curious horizontal banding (noise) in the original avi so perhaps I over cooked the gain?

Never the less, I am stunned by what can be seen from my back garden :-)

Vern

19_30_11_g4_ap5-pG.png

• Like 4

Here's my first effort from my back garden, surrounded with streetlamps & security lights

Orion with Canon 6D, 300mm lens, mounted on Star Adventurer. Just a single 20 sec frame at ISO 3200, tweaked & cropped in Lightroom. Did take 10 lights / darks & bias frames but it was a bit windy & the clouds started rolling in so stacking in DSS didn't produce any benefit.

Can't decide if the focus was off or if it was just the wind blowing stuff about. Taken on 2nd January 2017.

Oneb 1 Crop.jpg

Still got a lot to learn - some clear skies to be able to practice would be a help!

Derek

Edited by Derek N
  • Like 4

My first attempt at M42 using a SW130. 67 subs at 1 second each, untracked and afocally imaged with an iPhone 6. Stacked in Lynkeos and processed in Adobe After Effects. LP and lack of filters meant I could only capture the core.

Also this is my first post! Hello everyone!

Orion Neb3.jpg

• Like 3

My first attempt at astrophotography was Lyra back in March 1976 when I lived in Edinburgh.Not bad considering I stayed less than a km from the City Centre. I used a Zorki Soviet Rangefinder SLR and Ilford 400 asa film. I did the processing myself in my darkroom(ah the good old days being overcome by the fumes of fixer and stop bath!) :hippy2:I used a old tripod I found in a skip. The exposure was 30seconds.I didn't do much more astro photography apart from a couple of comets until I became fully digital in 2004.  My first digital DSO shot was  of wait for it.....The Orion Nebula!  This time with a 4mp compact digiscoped on a 20mm Plossl and a driven Helios 200mm f5 Refl EQ5.The exposure was 8 seconds

Lyra In The 70's.JPG

M42 22.01.07.jpg

Edited by Les Ewan
  • Like 3

I hesitate to post this, all the rules have been broken, but it is my first DSO. I used a Celestron 925 but with no tracking and a Nikon D200.  I do have the Celestron wedge but have not yet got it set up. This result is from 1 exposure of 1 second, no stacking. I realise that the quality is very poor, but I think I know what I need to do to improve it. Processing was done in Lightroom. I would appreciate any comments.

Jack

Orion-Nebula-2.jpg

4 hours ago, jACK101 said:

I hesitate to post this, all the rules have been broken, but it is my first DSO. I used a Celestron 925 but with no tracking and a Nikon D200.  I do have the Celestron wedge but have not yet got it set up. This result is from 1 exposure of 1 second, no stacking. I realise that the quality is very poor, but I think I know what I need to do to improve it. Processing was done in Lightroom. I would appreciate any comments.

Jack

Orion-Nebula-2.jpg

Sorry,

It was a Nikon D3200 not 200

Jack

• Like 2

My first DSO pic. Modified Canon 1300D on a C6 evo, 20s exposure @3200 Focal reducer to f/6.3

I took several but i get the DSS only 1 image issue, probably due to focus? I used FWHM for focusing and go the value to about 8.6.

The second image is after some messing in photoshop, not really where to go with that one now.

LIGHT_20s_3200iso_+8c_20170227-22h12m10s587ms.jpg

Orion Nebula.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is my first astro photo, taken with a Canon 5D Mark III using a 100-400 lens. It has star trails and the center is blown out but I am really excited to see Andromeda Galaxy for the first time. This was taken using a camera tripod and Astrotrac tracker. I now have a real mount (Orion Atlas-Pro) and a real scope is on order (Celestron EdgeHD 8" CG5)

Lloyd

andromeda galaxy-1.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lrlinnell said:

This is my first astro photo, taken with a Canon 5D Mark III using a 100-400 lens. It has star trails and the center is blown out but I am really excited to see Andromeda Galaxy for the first time. This was taken using a camera tripod and Astrotrac tracker. I now have a real mount (Orion Atlas-Pro) and a real scope is on order (Celestron EdgeHD 8" CG5)

Lloyd

andromeda galaxy-1.jpg

Bravo!  Looks good to me.  Hardly notice the star trails (just a little).  In an image like this its the wider picture that is being depicted, so one tends not to inspect too closely the stars.  What exposure lengths did you use?  If you reduce them and collect more, the star trails will be less and the core will not be a bright.  The C8 will zoom way in on this target--even with a full frame camera.  You will have to learn art of mosaics!  The Edge system is great though for smaller DSO (galaxies) or parts of nebula--I have the 11".  Then again you could always do hyperstar and then you WILL get this sized FOV (a bit smaller actually)

Rodd

• 2 months later...

Here's my first ever image (M39) single 4min shot zero editing. Nothing special I'm just amazed that actually anything showed up considering I know very little about scopes or cameras let alone imaging ! I can only get better lol

IMG_9987.JPG

• Like 3