Hello from Cheshire

flyingfifer

Hi folks, 

I have been bitten by the bug good and proper with this months Perigee moon viewed with just 10x40 Bins.

My wife has Alzheimer's and she was blown away by the view which is just fantastic that she has found something new at this stage of life. We have rather rashly bought a Skymax-127 with a go-to mount and can't wait to start looking at the moon and planets. I have lots to learn to ensure we get quick and stunning results, so will be posting a few questions in the relevant forums about EP's and filters and how to get the most out of this amazing piece of kit. I have been amazed at what you get for your money these days, I thought that I would about be able to afford a low powered refractor not a very portable Catadioptric!

Looking forward to making the most of this fascinating new interest

Rob

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob,

Welcome to SGL and astronomy in general,  make yourself at home. Don't hesitate to post questions, there will always be someone along soon to answer your queries.

Congrats on the new scope and the new interest for you and your wife, enjoy.

Ian

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. You might find it helpful in your quest to discover new objects and to learn the night sky to consider downloading some free planetary software called Stellarium. Lots of great features within it to keep you occupied, especially the advance date/time function which will show you when objects will come into your field of view. This system can also be calibrated to show you the same part of the sky as seen from your viewing location, which will certainly assist you in identifying objects that you come across as on your cosmic journey. 

Clear skies for now and don't forget to ask questions as they arise as there are plenty of people here to help you.

James

Greetings, Rob! I'm new here myself, but not to internet forums. And this one has all the hallmarks of being among the best. Happy exploring!

That's a great telescope you aquired. I'm sure you will all have a great time with it. And now I know why it's raining - happens whenever someone gets a new scope!

Clear Skies,

Dave

Hi Rob and welcome to SGL. I didn't get my first scope 'til my 50th birthday and was absolutely gutted to think what I'd been missing for so long. Still, we've found it now so best play the catch up game hey :D

Hi Rob and of course your wife :) I hope you both enjoy this fabulous Pastime, as you wander around our Solar system and beyond.

Main objective with this Hobby..... Have FUN ... There are a lot of WOW!!!! Moments coming your way. ;)

Archived