Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just bought some binoculars

tracerman

Hello , I have had an interest in astronomy since about 1957 when I was ten . Never had enough dosh to get a telescope , once read a library book about grinding one's own lenses but gave that a miss . A few years ago I bought a pair of 16x50 bins mostly for use at the seaside . I have just ordered a pair of Celestron 25x70 bins and although they are cheap I have read good reports so looking forward to trying them out . I am quite keen to see whether I can attatch my digital camera to the bins ( Fujifilm 6500 ) ( manual zoom) . I have been looking at some of the Heath Robinson ideas for camera/bin mounting but any comments from members would be appreciated .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a good camera tripod - you will need one for the binoculars anyway.

Then you could attach the camera to the tripod aim it skywards and take a 20 second possibly 25 second exposure.

ISO up high, lens more or less fully open and see waht comes out.

You are not sensibly going to attach the camera to the binoculars and there is no point in doing so. Even if you nailed the camera to the binoculars you would have to do the observing and the photograping as 2 seperate actions.

I'm not an imaging expert but you might want to consider posting your question over on one of the imaging sections sections to see if they can come up with a solution. Your proposed combination is not one I have seen before so it will be interesting to read about any solutions that come to light.

Clear skies

James

Hi Tracerman and welcome to SGL, with such powerful binoculars you are certainly going to need some rigid support of some sort, especially if you are going to attempt to attach a camera. Keeping it simple, you could just sink a fence post into your garden to a suitable height and attach a universal camera mount to it. The bins/camera coupling could be a bit tricky, but as the old saying goes, where there is a will there is a way. Good luck with your project :)

Archived