Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Websites that show cloud cover?

Is there anywhere online that will estimate cloud coverage in your area, simply to get an idea early on in the day of whether or not the skies will be suitable for observing in the evening?

I've also been interested in finding software that can show the skies in your area at the current time (or a time specified by you). I know such software exists, have seen it being used in DeepSkyVideos but no clues to the name of the software were given

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google "meteoblue" + the name  of  your town. Go to "charts and settings". Go to "astronomy seeing". Gives very comprehensive local area info - but naturally just as liable to inaccuracy as all the others!

+1 for FLO's Clear Outside http://clearoutside.com/forecast/50.7/-3.52

I also use the Scope Nights app and the Met Office and BBC weather websites. That gives about an 85% accurate forecast for the next 24 hours. The forecasts are all longer range too, but change massively as time goes by and are only really accurate for the next day or so.

You also ask about software to show skies in your current area now and at a time specified - do you mean a planetarium program? If so, Stellarium is a good starting point and Cartes du Ciel is good, though not as pretty or easy to use. I also use a couple of apps on the iThings - StarMap Pro and pUniverseHD.

Now with all of this technology, at least you'll know what is behind the clouds......!

I use sat24, 7timer, weatheroutlook and the bbc. To be honest non of them are that great. But sat 24 gives a nice visual! It's funny to think scientists reckon they can or soon will predict the weather on Mars, but the forecast for earth is varied.

Sat24 is real-time satellite images and therefore totally accurate for what is happening now (and the past two hours if you view the animation). If you understand the weather you can also create your own short term forecast by watching the cloud development that is occuring in the satellite animation (for example you can tell by looking at the animation if you see small clouds popping up out of nowhere after a very sunny start to the day that it is infill occuring (i.e. clouds are forming due to heat of day in situ and will therefore dissipate as the sun gets lower in the sky during the evening to leave largely clear skies. Whereas, if you see a large band of cloud moving in (most commonly from the west) this is a front and will likely result in several hours of total cloud cover). You can also spot where cold fronts are (usually pushing in from the W or NW behind a band of cloud where there may be excellent transparency.

This site has a lot of weather model data which is useful for working out which days will be good for observing within the next week 

Google for 'wetterzentrale'.

The GFS and ECM models are good for predicting upcoming weather as well as the GFS meteograms for visual representation showing forecasted cloud amounts.

Finally, +1 also for the FLO Clear Outside site. A nicely presented forecast. 

I always use Sat24, and keep it running while I am imaging so check if any clouds are coming my way.  Will also show rain clouds.  

Also use it to see when clouds are going to clear.

Carole 

Archived