NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Neither Dover nor Folkestone

OscarTheGrouch

Hello from Capel le ferne.

Stargazing from the fog capital of Kent is not the best idea, but I've had a go!!  There have been any number of times that my wife and I have sat in our garden looking up at the skies and trying to work out what we were looking at.  Now, I've decided to jump in to the deep end with a Celestron 130.  Bit of a setback - the coupling for the motor drive is broken but I'm working on that.  In the meantime, I've got the adapter for my Canon 350D, bought a couple of barlow lenses (2x & 3x) and picked up a somewhat iffy 6mm lens.  Price, rather than quality, has been the driving factor in getting the extra kit (no screw thread for filters on the camera adapter and I bought the barlows from eBay) until I join the local group and see what I can buy from them second hand or get advice on.

Really pleased with the telescope - got a good, clear look at Jupiter on my first evening with it and have since taken a couple of dodgy shots of the moon.  I'm now looking forward to the nights drawing in, but have noticed that if I have my hipflask with me when stargazing, it gets harder to focus on objects the later it gets!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Oscar and welcome to SGL from the East Anglian Coast.  I've given up on the alcohol fueled observing sessions as 'juggling' was never a skill I could master.  In the depths of winter, I find  a frequently applied cup of hot chocolate or Marmite  re-establishes contact between my brain and extremities.

Archived