Started at last

elrico

Hi to everyone, as the title says I have always been fascinated when just simply looking up at the night sky, wondering and guessing what might be out there, at long  last I decided to go a step further and just had my first evening out with my new telescope, the sky was really clear and I was amazed at what I could see, I was excited to view Saturn and what a wonderful sight seeing the rings of Saturn for the very first time was incredible, Mars and Jupiter were also very well sighted, as for my scope, well I initially bought a celestron 130 EQ  but found it a little technical for my novice brain, and also restrictive for my purpose (and the grandchildren were finding it a little difficult also,(MY EXCUSE LOL) so I returned it and purchased a SkyWatcher 200p Dobsonian,   which I am really pleased with, my next step is learning more about the night sky celestial sphere and finding my way around the constellations, I purposefully didn't want a scope mount with motor drive as from my own point of view I want to learn simply by observation with a little help from a sky chart.   The Stargazer lounge seemed to get a mention in a few sites I visited so here I am as a new member ready, willing and hopefully still have enough grey matter at 63 to learn lol, thanks 

elrico (eric)

ps Amazing how fast the planets moved when in magnification !!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Eric welcome to the lounge,

first view of Saturn is a real Wow factor moment, glad you are

enjoying your new scope, nice to see you are getting your

grandchildren involved, my grandson loves the planets too,

there is lot's of help and advice here in S G L, so don't hesitate 

to ask.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi, Eric, and a warm welcome to SGL! If you haven't done already I can recommend downloading the free planetarium software 'Stellarium' which is used by many on here to both find objects in the night sky and plan viewing sessions. it will certainly help you identify the constellations (and much more!)  It is customisable to location and to individual scopes - giving you an idea as to what you should be able to see through the eyepiece at different magnifications. Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps, and that you enjoy your new scope.

Martin

Archived