NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Packing up for the summer............??

I don't pack up for the summer. Since I only observe at weekends from about March until August, I just continue on in the summer. 11pm - 1am, maybe 2am. Saw some lovely sights 2 years ago, but wanted to see so much more. Ready for it this year, as last year I didn't observe in the summer due to my mount being out of action.

But if you do pack up, make sure there is some kind of desiccant with the scope to avoid moisture damage. Change it regularly. Keep power tanks topped up - something I failed to do!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno.....

Hoping to be moving this "summer" so I may be a bit busy, but if I can spare some cash I may well buy that mono CCD I've been eying up, with the wiped out nights the inevitable cloud won't matter. 

Other than that, some lunar / planetary with the Mak perhaps.

Don't think I am going to pack up this summer.

Another astro meetup in June with some good friends and my newfound love for Luna will keep me going.

I am also inspired by the comments about double stars....

Plus the fact there is something magical about the twilight of Midsummer!!

Not to mention the Noctilucent Clouds to keep an eye out for.  :)

Plenty to do....just wish I had more energy!!

Do not accept packing up just re-focus on what is achievable with a short observing time frame or twilight scenario. There will always be one or people around (whom I know) will keep going, which is just as well because it will be a very late / early morning start. I think that there are so few opportunities on the whole throughout the year that you have to keep going - just don't forget the midge cream (Smidge I think was recommended).

Last summer I got a couple of hrs on M16, so I'm really hoping to get more imaging time on it this year...it's my summer goal :)

We're having a couple of weeks in mid Brittany in late august so I'm hoping to get some time under my belt there.

That being said, I took the neq6 off the pier today so anything else now will be camera on astrotrac

There it is! I sort of expected this kind of response, Billy. The folks here are just so positive!

Even as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist it causes my heart to soar like a hawk!

As the saying goes, the stars aren't going away. So nor shall I.

Hope you have a good season, Billy. Post when you can.

As for all you optimists, I look forward to reading about your summer viewing - and, hopefully, joining in when I can.

Clear skies.

Hi All

well as a newby last christmas got a fair amount of use from the scope up till clocks went forward then hardly used it over the summer which was frustrating, by end of last year i discovered solar filters so thought id give that a crack as so i can use scope day or nite if i wanted, was pleased with the solar filter as have had more chances this year with it during day than i have nite time veiwing, dont think i could not go without using it for something, just for the fix :D

regards

john

Here in London I consider from May 21st to July 21st to be something of an off-season. But... the Moon's always there, Jupiter, Mars and the incomparable Saturn will all be readily visible and there are plenty f double stars to feast your eyes on. Also, I think I right in saying that July is about the only time when you can view Antares and its attendant globular clusters, M4 and M80. Personally I love August for observing; often clear nights, it starts getting dark reasonably early and you can observe with a bottle of wine for company. I'm such an astro-lush...

DD

So, I'm starting to get the distinct impression that I've probably not chosen the best time of year to start out with this astronomy lark. Oh well, at least I spent the money wisely & not frittered it away on pointless frivolities like a new kitchen, furniture & decorating. My wife seems to think they're more important for some strange reason  :rolleyes:

I wouldn't pack my gear away because I know exactly what will happen. We'll get a beautiful clear sky and out it will all have to come again. (The only other downside of summer nights are those horrid little biting flies, but that also affects my other pastime. Fishing)

You've just got to adapt and go for what's on offer. It's the season for solar, lunar and noctilucent clouds.

summer is not a time for packing up your kit,just adapting,tp whats on view.you have the planets,old crater face{moon}.the summer triangle,meteor showers.to name but a few,then if we do get long hot summer days,you could invest in a solar filter,and observe,our nearest star.

I think you're right there.  I think I need to broaden my astro interests somewhat to make the most out of the summer months.  It will probably mean mean buying a bit more gear though, but who doesn't enjoy doing that :smile:

Its a shame to pack up for the summer when there is so much to see.

I normally start observing around 11pm during the summer when there is a clear night.

Its also a lot more comfortable observing during the summer.

As I'm retired I don't have to worry about getting up early next morning.

Avtar

I've got an old copy of Patrick Moore's The Observer's Year, published in 1998, which documents something to look at or ponder upon for each day of the year.  Granted there are entries relating to solar system observations which will only have been specifically applicable on that date in 1998, but there's plenty of other stuff that is relevant for any year. 

There's an updated (2005) edition and a similar volume in the same series that concentrates on DSOs throughout the year.

Perhaps books like these may provide some inspiration on different things to look at during the summer months?

Do most people do this ????  I only started at this game last November and I hadnt realised its probably a seasonal thing.

I am a bit further South so I do try to get out between midnight and 02:00 if I can.

I'm still aiming to get another crack at imaging Mars and Saturn. Just one clear night is all I ask!

I have to pack my kit away after every session anyway, so it doesn't get packed away for summer, it just tends not to get taken out as often.

Sometimes it is a good idea to stop and review progress, or the lack of.  The summer is the best time to do it.  I'm trying to sort out my observatory and the scope - and possibly buying a new one!

I won't be packing away the equipment this summer. This is my first year looking through a telescope, and it's still all too much of a thrill. Even if there were no planets or moons in the sky, I could spend the whole summer trying to get a decent shot of the ISS.

Sometimes it is a good idea to stop and review progress, or the lack of.  The summer is the best time to do it.  I'm trying to sort out my observatory and the scope - and possibly buying a new one!

A 'summer shutdown' has its merits, allowing you to do stuff that you'd been putting off because you wanted to have everything up and running in the unlikely event that a clear night would be forthcoming.

So far I've done the EQ6 belt mod, cleaned my RC's cobweb covered mirrors and flocked the primary baffle tube.  I wouldn't mind a clear night to see if these tweaks have made any material difference, like that's going to happen any time soon.

Archived