Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Star Camp 2014

Im still watching those forecasts as its a mixed bag for the rest of the week so I'm going to decide in the morning.

Ill have time to make if at work if I come some along so I need a good forecast to make it worth while ! Frustratingly clear outside is showing a few gaps while bbc shows cloud all the way. I wish astronomy was more predictable !!!!!!

Glad you have had some clear spells,

Cheers

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A dull wet morning down here in yorkshire, just a few bits to get together this morning then pack the gear and set off.

Weather by forecast is not looking good but as always if I listened to them I'd never go anywhere or do any astronomy. Just take the chance and there is always great people to talk to when the weather is inclement.

Damian

Hi All,

Today's Report....

The kettle is on the boil later than usual. There must be a reason for that!

The viewing was clear for hours last night, I went to bed at 01:50 am, Alan and Derek, poor souls were left battling the cold breeze.

There were a lot more stars in the North than on previous evenings. Most of the best viewing was to the East and South, great views of Orion, Jupiter and 4 Moons appeared after mid-night.

Sirius was low down to the south-east around 01:00 am and in sparkled in what must have been very low transparent cloud.

I did a load of Messier Objects and using Safari Pro 4, and one of it's good features namely, Tonight's Best, it produces an interactive list of things to see for the evening. Great no need to draw up your own list!

I have one or two possible improvements to an already stunning piece of software. They are very approachable.

This morning, there are patches of blue stuff amongst some grey clouds. It looks clearer towards the Lake District. The wind is still blowing but not as strong as last night.

Finally, to Damian, you are a man after my own heart, it is great to have a positive attitude to life. Half the fun of a Star Party is clear skies and the other half is the social side.

I sometimes think I learn more with those interesting conversations before the whiskey haze takes effect. 

To Dave, there is no finally to him, keep packing that whiskey, I will come around and watch you put your tent up....

To all travelling, have a safe journey.

Time for breakfast.

Cheers

Adrian

Great night last night

hit the sack just after 3am last night, got some data on M42, M33 & the iris but was battling the wind a bit. also did some widefield on the DSLR so i'll have to see if i got any meaningful data.

Great sky, i spent so much time just looking up at the Milky Way... Awesome

These are from last night, The Widesield of Cepheus and the Iris nebula are just single subs as i am having rotational issues when i stack them.

These are just basic processing in Neb, they havent gone anywhere near Photoshop yet so there maybe more to get out of them. We were battling the wind last night so all in all i am relativly happy

C92.5 w/Hyperstar & QHY8L

M33 = 2hrs 15mins - 5mins x 27

M42 = 1hr 35mins - 5mins x 19

Canon 1000d 18mm @ ISO 1600

Orion = 52 x 2min

Triangulum = 22 x 2min

These are the first widefields i have ever attemptted using just the camera on its own. I am deffo treating myself to a widefield lens after christmas. The end of the scope is what you can see in the widefield shots..... accident but i kinda of like it

Anyways enjoy

post-9689-0-25776600-1416409587_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-42887400-1416409617_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-39483900-1416409663_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-04304700-1416409694_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-81039700-1416409803_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-64394900-1416409895_thumb.jp

Hi All,

The Thursday Report......

This is not the happiest report of the week.  Very patchy skies not suitable for viewing, so social activity was engaged.

I went out to dinner with local friends to the Steam Packet in the Isle of Whithorn.

The food was excellent and the pub is the Camra Pub of the Year 2014 for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

I arrived back to the site at 23:00, there was patchy mist along the A714.

After a few drinks, the sky gods relented and allowed us some clear sky to the South at 02:00 am. Orion was showing in all it's glory.

The wind had died down from earlier, there was a fair amount of water in the sky, it started to rain lightly but we could see the stars.

The sky finally clouded over at 02:45 am, so to bed at 03:00 am.

It is currently grey overcast, but things will brighten up later with the arrival of Phil from the South and Dave + crew from the North, so our  whiskey supplies will be re-stocked!

We are hoping for some clear skies tonight.

Safe travelling to those coming today.

Cheers

Adrian

Arrived at the site at 4pm yesterday and just managed to get the shell of the tents up before darkness closed in.

Managed a little socializing and the stars have made a show through the hazy cloud with several patches of clear skies where the stars made a decent showing

Good to see everyone again and I finally turned in around two am.

Here is a time lapse video of my first night at Galloway star party 2014. Shame it was cloudy most of the night but great social event.

The stars did come out for a little while.

Can i annoy you with some questions tomorrow about how you do this? Camera serttings exposure times etc.. 

It would be good to know & something that you can do regardless of the weather

Cheers

Hi folks,skies opened up for us tonight despite the lousy forecast'.It Caught most people by suprise as the warm room was lively.Good skies from 12 till 2'ish then faded, met new friends & old.

Great night,great event...better get to bed now.

Kenny

Archived