Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Star Camp 2014

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clear patch last night for 3 hours was nice. Fortunately I had not had much to drink and ever the optimist kept an eye on the sky.

Although I'd not got my scope set up I spent a bit of time with Mike's large bin's and found a couple of targets although have to say I'm rather rusty due to not having the scope out much this year.

Nice to see everyone get into the spirit of things and plenty out although some were inebriated and probably picking out a lot of double stars?

Great to be out again and thanks for getting the bins rigged up Mike.

Weather is at present not very encouraging as there is a breeze and showery. Take a lot more to dampen our enthusiasm as the forecasts have been way out every day.

Damian

Hi again,*!#@ weather today & tonight,good laugh in warm room tho,

plenty of people mingling & chatting,playing pool and putting the world to right!

Tomorrow night looks good,hope so coz it's my last one,fingers crossed Galloway will produce a good un.

Kenny

Weather was torrential at times last night and I finally retired at 4am after plenty of laughs in the warm room.

This morning is broken cloud, but a few are out trying some solar viewing and imaging. Looking at a Pan I left outside it has an inch of water in so obviously soaked the place quite a bit! My tent held up but a couple had major issues with water.

Fingers crossed for tonight for everyone.

Damian

Hopefully it's clear the wind has dropped all set up now for some imaging just need polar aligning amd away we go. Last night sleep was disrupted slightly by thr very high wind and rain. At times it was like how I imagine sitting a top of a Saturn 5 rocket would be like :-)

Sat up all night waiting for them clouds to shift like you do. Got one clear spell about 5 running in an out a tent well got somet but nowt worth posting so roll on tonight clear skies all the way[emoji276][emoji277][emoji278][emoji278][emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji293][emoji293]

Hi You Lucky People,

I arrived home safely yesterday, the rain along the A75 was terrible.

Rain for the majority of the way.

However, trust everybody had a good Saturday.

The good news is that Scope Nights is predicting clear skies for Kirkinner from 18:00 to mid-night.

Then partly cloudy from mid-night till 03:00am, then clear till 06:00.

It will be a bit breezy with gusts up to 18mph in the early part of the night.

Trust you all have a safe journey home.

Cheers

Adrian

I left camp in sunny skies at 1pm for the 230 mile journey home to yorkshire.

Apart from encountering a heavy down pour near dumfries the skies all the way were crystal clear all the way down back to barnsley.

Shame I couldn't stay due to work tomorrow but to all those dedicated astronomers that have attended to support this through the dull days they were not wasted, with friendships made and renewed, laugh's a plenty and more experience gained.

To the lucky lot that are still there I hope the skies stay clear all night.

Now I've unpacked the car I'm planning for kielder next weekend but I will be back next year whatever the weather

Damian

Very nice Kieran.  Glad it has cleared up for everyone.  We were so hopeful last night but alas maybe next time.  Nice journey back to Sunderland bit of a downpour at Dumfries like everyone else but nice clear skies everywhere else.  It's quite clear here at home although humidity is 90%.  Wish I wasn't so tired I would mount the scope back on the OBS and do some imaging.

OMG am seriously worn out last 6 hours running around controlling 4 cameras one after the other is unbelievably exhausting especially after 2 hours sleep but is well worth it as captured more data tonight than ever would in 4 weeks still another 5 hours to go and a 4 hour drive home.

God I love Astrophotography especially when everything goes to plan.

Hi Kieran,

Glad to hear that you and the others had clear skies last night.

Down here near London, we have clear skies and a frost.

Great view of Jupiter just passing Leo.

At least you have plenty of data for those wet winter evening.

Shame that those who could only come for the weekend, did not get the great clear skies that appeared before and after the weekend.

It has been an excellent event, long may it be held.

A special thanks to Lesley and Ralph for their efforts in making it a success.

Looking forward to the next one, this is really a dark sky site.

Great to meet up with a number of good friends I have made at both Galloway and Cumbria.

Hope Martin is feeling better.

Thanks to David for his generous donation of whiskey. It helped to drown the sorrow generated by the unwelcome rain on Friday and Saturday nights.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived