NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Milnrow, Rochdale!!

rob3910

Good morning all, my name is rob and I'm from Milnrow, Rochdale.. I'm 31 and me and my son are very interested in astronomy. He's only 6 but loved watching the stargazing live and 'wonders of..' Series. This is my first post on here and I've been reading around posts and it seems like a great friendly forum and I am very much looking foreward to be a part of it. I am a total newbie and have just taken the plunge and bought a celestron astromaster 130eq. I had my maiden voyage last night as there were a few breaks in the cloud around midnight. After a while getting used to the scope and the red dot 'finder', and I use the term finder loosely! I managed to focus on a couple of stars but the light pollution in my garden is really bad as the street lights run right around the perimeter. I think I will have to find a darker spot if I am going to see much next time. I am contemplating attending the todmorden observatory this evening with my dad and son to see if I can get some well needed pointers. Looking foreward to reading and posting more on here and thank you for any comments in advance. Rob.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Rob.

I'm a newcomer, too, and also well pleased with this site.

Hopefully, we'll learn more at the same time.

Wishing you clear skies (none around here for some time to come, I fear!)

Hi Rob and welcome to SGL - Going to see how other people set up and have their equipment sorted is an excellent idea. I have been forced to be a rather solitary person in the astronomy world and the forums and helpful folks on them have been an utter godsend.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Rob and welcome,
you will certainly get answers to probably all the question you are going to have on this forum,
I'm only about 30 miles from you but did not get any chance to use my new scope last night, not only was it cloudy but it never stopped raining :sad:

Regards

Welcome to the forum Rob, I used to live up by the lake before coming out here.

I note that there is also another new member who lives in Littleborough, maybe you could get together?

Tod' obsy didn't exist back then, I wish it had.

Cheers,

Richard

Thank you all for the warm welcomes, I took a trip to todmorden observatory this evening with my son and dad and had a superb time. The skies were cloudy but Andy showed us round and really took the time to educate us and give us some great info and got my son really involved, he loved every minute. We shall be back next week. on returning home the local skies were clear so I got the telescope out. We managed to see Jupiter and it's moons, I'm so pleased as it's the very first time I've seen a planet through a telescope. A humbling experience. Thank you all again! I shall post my progress..

Archived