Hello from South Florida

Noel

Hi all. I'm Noel. I am a middle school teacher in the Fort Myers area and a photographer. I started getting into astrophotography about a year ago with a Canon T3i. After realizing that the T3i doesn't perform well at high ISO in the heat and humidity of south Florida in the summer time, I upgraded to a 6D and am patiently waiting for the summer months to get back to photographing a lot more of the good part of the Milky Way. I'm on here to maybe find others in the area to get ideas of where to shoot and also to find people who might have some ideas of other ways to process astro photos than what I already do.

The gear I use includes: canon 6D, 17-40mm f/4L, 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon, 40mm f/2.8 STM, and 50mm f/1.8. For post I have PS CS6 and LR5 with some Nik plugins.

I try to focus on mainly wide area landscape astrophotography in single exposures or HDR, but really need help in finding effective ways to remove noise. Hopefully there are some people here that could give a few pointers that YouTube doesn't have.

post-36218-0-68260800-1395471574_thumb.j

Hi Noel and welcome to SGL - For me, I moved away from DSLR's totally for astro imaging as the temperatures here in Spain were a killer for noise. But as you are doing wide field photography, I'm not sure that you really have much choice. You can buy cooling boxes for them which will help with the noise.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Noel, welcome to SGL  :smiley:

That's a nice looking image, thanks for sharing. I've not really done any widefield astro photography, but could you not stack multiple images and subtract dark and bias frames to remove some of the noise? This may require tracking though, depending on the length of your exposures.

Hopefully someone with more experience of widefield can offer you better advice. Why not post a question in the Beginners imaging forum?

Archived