Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

When is this weather going to end??

Skooby

Well it was a beautiful clear day today and there was hope that it would continue into the night but as scope nights predicted it's clouding over here's the pics from the attic bedroom getting cloudy. a7e4aqum.jpgydeza9ym.jpgbu7uhu3a.jpgqagadu4y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice views though Skooby.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice views though Skooby.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

thanks I take it for granted as I see it every day but I am pretty fortunate to have nice views from my house sunsets look good from the front door lol just a pity my roof doesn't open up otherwise the sky would be that much better :)

These are the cloudy sunrises I see from the front door a few weeks back when I started the thread cloudy but nice vuja4yhe.jpga5epynet.jpg5e2y9a4u.jpgze8ydy7a.jpg

I am thinking of moving to your part of world now, just before I tried to set up the HEQ5 more in hope than anything else, the last date on handset was 13th of March when  I packed up and came in then, if my memory serves me right. Manchester weather really sucks.

A.G

Not really nice weather here for the last number of weeks. Lots of rain, mist and clouds.

And the worst part is that I ordered a Baader solar filter few days ago  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  

...And this is the Sunny Southeast!!!

Managed to get a couple of unexpected hours in tonight :)   Nice and dark, with variable fair seeing and transparency - but better than nothing over the last 7-8 nights!    Nice view and some imaging of Jupiter with Io transit and a peek at Mars through the trees, boiling away like a good un.    Good luck on the weather front for all the SGL9ers - fingers crossed :)

Can not remember one cold, crystal clear, sparkling starry night this past winter, did I blink and miss it.

Agreed....I had perhaps 2 good cloud free evenings since December, but 'invisible' cloud/turbulence made imaging not worth it :-(

I am thinking of moving to your part of world now, just before I tried to set up the HEQ5 more in hope than anything else, the last date on handset was 13th of March when I packed up and came in then, if my memory serves me right. Manchester weather really sucks.

A.G

lol move here there's plenty of houses to go around :) just not in my street lol

Managed to get a couple of unexpected hours in tonight :)   Nice and dark, with variable fair seeing and transparency - but better than nothing over the last 7-8 nights!    Nice view and some imaging of Jupiter with Io transit and a peek at Mars through the trees, boiling away like a good un.    Good luck on the weather front for all the SGL9ers - fingers crossed :)

Had a similar experience in Shropshire.

wasn't holding out any hope of getting out last night, but just happened to have a look outside about 9pm to see Orion, and Jupiter shining brightly :) . So I took my chance, and got about an hour or so before the cloud starting rolling in again. :(

The new 12 mm BST EP, worked a treat. it's amazing how much more you can see in a patch of Sky through a scope.

really hoping we all get some decent viewing time soon

The met's forecast is looking good down here tonight and a chance of reasonable seeing according to the unisys 300mb chart:

post-26731-0-06150200-1396596785_thumb.g

Doubtless it will all change!

Just hope the saharan sand and pollution doesn't spoil the show!

Fingers crossed Jake, if it's clear i'll be out.

I've a week off work - and it is never clear when that happens. :sad:

Lee

Cheers Lee, hopeful for tonight - but the rest of the weekend looks pretty dire, hopefully brightening up in to Tuesday, with the usual caveats and large pinch of salt ;)

Enjoy your week off though - I'm starting a new job so expecting to be maxed out for the next few months and looking like no proper hols for the next 12 months!    Dare say I will be able to fit a few hours R&R in as/when conditions allow :)

I've been in mine for 30 years - I'm only 46

Wow, I bet there's very few people of our generation that could make the same claim!    Hopefully its a good pension scheme and you can consider a nice early retirement!

Looking at the BBC weather forecast for tonight it looks hopeful from about 10 pm with broken cloud before that. Trouble is, the BBC forecasts start off optimistic, then gradually get more dire as the day goes on, until by observing time we're clouded out.

Argh, don't know why I bother.

I really don't know.

Been prepared to blow a lot of money on a CCD imaging bundle from IKI but if the weather continues like this I may just save my money. I don't know when I'd use it.

Really fed up[.

Hard to say with modern BBC weather maps... Is the "clear" period going to be pale blue... light blue... mid blue or... :p

Frustrating though! Finally, my VIDEO Astro setup is ALL "singing from the same hymn sheet" (excuse naff expression!). Three years in the making - Not always easy technically or financially? A plethora of cables, USB connectors, dodgy BNC contacts etc. lol. Even the (slightly dubious) "F4 Newt" collimation is NOW fairy stable? Just hoping I can actually USE the bloomin' thing, before the weather map goes an Amy Winehouse "Back to Black" (Or Dark Blue? Dark Brown? etc. etc.) :o

Gotta keep going now though - However misguided? <twitch twitch wibble>  ;)

Thinks.....Do I put the mak out to cool? What will I observe? Jupiter is now over the neighbours' roofs so boiling with heat turbulance. The Moon? Possibly but see previous. Galaxies? From London? You 'avin' a larf?

Or get the imaging rig out? Hmm....scopes, computer, power lead etc. Possible but again what? Galaxies pretty much. Leo Triplet? Maybe, M81 / 82 riding high but the SN has gone by now. M51, M101 dunno...

That's all assuming the forecast pans out and it becomes clear and stays that way.

Descisions, descisions.

Clear band moving slowly up from the west. I am showing clear skies in Scope Nights from 10pm which looks possible from this. Have a nice little toy to play with so may chance my arm with the Vixen.

Stu2ene6etu.jpg

6ysuvy7u.jpg

Stu

Well I've put the Mak out on the mount cooling. A quick look at the Moon shows a lot of boiling, but I am looking over the neighbour's roof. I've also taken the imaging rig out ready for change over if I change my mind.

The clouds look like they can't decide whether to clear or not.

Archived