Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

When is this weather going to end??

Skooby

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I keep repeating myself, but the problem with these Apps and things is that there really are very, very few sources of meaningful meteorological data. Most comes from the various national weather services such as the UK Met Office.

They provide either specific forecasts or raw model data and everything in between.

A lot of the Apps use the raw data or hybridisations of it.

When the output of these Apps varies significantly from, say, the Met O forecast one has to wonder where that intelligence came from.

The answer is probably nowhere!

The Met O have highly skilled forecasters that analyse charts and modify model data into meaningful output (probabilities).

Some of the private online met providers also have in-house forecasters but their products are usually very expensive and specilaised or so general as to be no better than any other output.

Too many online products just take raw model data and present it graphically. Some they win and some they lose. Just don't put it down to a specific skill!!

One of these days I'll tell you about a UK Quango and their affection for "Wind Guru". Not until I change careers (again!) though :)

I think it has finally ended - just given up on tonight as the seeing looked rather poor, then downloaded the latest from Unisys:

post-26731-0-35971200-1405892080_thumb.g

It's all over!     Shame this isn't the European Dark Sky forecast ;)

That good man, Mace, pointed out long ago that 'this weather' actually ended long ago

Then started again

And ended again

And started again

But the thread just keeps going.

Am I right in thinking that it's only we Brits who keep it running?

This thread was created in the context of the winter storms wasn't it?

We're now in the middle of a heatwave.

Yes it's ended.

If we start the thread up again every time the British weather goes south then potentially this could go on forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've bought a brand new sw 250pds on a neq6 pro mount nearly 2 weeks ago and the only thing I've photographed and viewed is the inside of my living room ain't had a chance to use it as this weather is in no hurry to stop. It's been going strong now since well before Christmas it's crazy. Let's please have some clear skies soon!!! Rant over!

Skooby, I just bought my first telescope at the beginning of the summer. Nearly every night of clear skies I have had a chance to get my telescope out there has been a bright moon. When there have been other celestial events such as meteor showers and the recent lunar eclipse, the cloud cover is thicker than ever. I think it is natures way of taming the enthusiasm of newbies.

• 2 months later...

I know what you mean the weather is finally starting to settle and tonight hopefully I can catch a glimpse of the meteor shower tonight clear skies to you.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recieved a 12.5 inch Sky Watcher Dob Last Novemmber 2014. I've only been able to use it once since then due to the drought in Texas deciding to make amends and rain almost every night and whenit doesn't It's clouded over.

Archived