Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When is this weather going to end??

Skooby

Well the weather was suppose to be nice for Saturday it rained instead!! Woke up Sunday morning now and it's a beautiful clear day so bit of luck it will be clear tonight for a session.

I have been rooting for you the whole length of this thread. Hope those skies keep up - it should be a good one down here in London tonight (To coincide with a near full moon typically).

DD

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clouds last night, and clouds today. I am beginning to forget how to set the whole thing up now after nearly a month of clouded weather. I had a look at my files from last April when I started this hobby and I had the chance to try and image Jupiter for over an entire week of evenings. Zero so far in April and very little imaging in March too, in May I am back with my long evening shifts at work, thanks a bunch Jetstream.

Regards,

A.G

According to some weather sites, it was supposed to be clear last night too. No doubt it will give me something to ponder as i stand outside at midnight tonight looking at the wall to wall cloud.

Last night i managed a 60s capture of the moon and 30s on mars. The evening went like this..

Look out side - partly cloudy, mars shining brightly.

Kit out, got PA, align finder, track target. set up laptop/camera look up... wall to wall

wait

wait

wait

give up, start taking kit in

lookup clear

take kit back out

setup on target, look down adjust exposure and gain.. strange its went black ? camera crashed? look up... wall to wall

wait 

wait 

get  60s on moon then cloud

wait 

get 30s on mars

wait 

wait

give up

If  thats 6% cloud all i can say is, they put it all above my garden.

Laters

Mark

1 night with partial clear skies and a load of poor data

Yep wait for ages for a clear night and its either wispy high cloud or crumby seeing.

Hmm wonder if i can borrow hubble.... probably only need a min per channel, be all done by the time they've made their afternoon coffee.  :grin:

The thing that gets to me sometimes is that the clear sky is 'wasted' on a sunny day! It's been a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, yet all i can do is sit here and wait for it to turn dark already so there's more observing time!

Nice sunny day here, few puffy clouds and a light breeze.  

Apparently 2 hours of cloud after sunset too followed by clear skies but fast jetstream. Seams you cant get one without the other these days :(

c'mon i need 5min for a star test and collimation tweak then a few min to get mars in view and sort out the focus then 8min of imaging. 20min tops.

Please can i have this in one session... and not in 30s instalments like last night.  :icon_neutral:

Mark

< out in garden performing strange pagan ritual to sky gods, next door not noticed missing rabbit yet >

Glad to be of service Jimmy. :)  I think we have to see the funny side of this, else there would be a lot of kit going on ebay..

Oh by the way you should now be getting 4 score and 5 nights of clear skies... if i got everything right. Book did say use a goat but they are pretty hard to find in london  :icon_scratch: so i made a substitution... :bunny: should be ok i guess??? 

Guess we will find out :)

Laters

Mark

Yes things shaping up nicely here too.... mr floppy safely? back in his hutch. Foxes are rife at this time of year ya know.... 

Indeed, clear skies to you  :evil:

Mark < thumbing through the 'pet shop' section of yellow pages >

Disclaimer: no animals were hurt during this production

What a surprise I knew it was to good to be true been beautiful all day cloudless skies and when it really matters full of cloud can't see anything mad!! 8ame8yzy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to be of service Jimmy. :)  I think we have to see the funny side of this, else there would be a lot of kit going on ebay..

Oh by the way you should now be getting 4 score and 5 nights of clear skies... if i got everything right. Book did say use a goat but they are pretty hard to find in london  :icon_scratch: so i made a substitution... :bunny: should be ok i guess??? 

Guess we will find out :)

Laters

Mark

You crack me up dude  :D

In all seriousness, nobody is missing anything really. I have been set up for the past hour or so but the almost full moon has scuppered any chance of viewing anything other than the planets or bright open clusters. I've tried M3 - Did see it, but just a smudge using averted vision. Couldn't even get past using the 25mm eyepiece - any more mag and it just dies. Saying that though, i have had my first ever glimpse of M81!!! Chuffed with that :D I tried M51 but i guess its just not going to happen under these skies.

Sometimes i wouldn't mind having a catastrophic climate change were the moon somehow removed from orbit.

What a surprise I knew it was to good to be true been beautiful all day cloudless skies and when it really matters full of cloud can't see anything mad!! 8ame8yzy.jpg

Me too!!!!! got to put Jupiter and 3 moons to my spotted list, then Clouds start rolling in :( now just sat here waiting to see what happens. so much for the weather reports.

Now in Bed, drinking a nice mug of drinking Choccy. :)

what with the wind and cloud, I'm very disappointed, after the gorgeous blue skies all day. nose running, eye's watering , Moon washing everything else out.

Roll on Tomorrow night, it'll be fine . the Weather forecast says so anyway. lol. ;)

Me too!!!!! got to put Jupiter and 3 moons to my spotted list, then Clouds start rolling in :( now just sat here waiting to see what happens. so much for the weather reports.

i know it's a complete nightmare the forecast around here is always wrong!!

e4epa8ah.jpgwell it's beautiful clear day in work at the moment bet it will change by the time the stars come out

The first law of astronomy is cloud automatically fills the sky the second you get your telescope set up.

Archived