NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

When is this weather going to end??

Skooby

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes more cloud and rain for us, especially at night.

However I bet it will stay dry and sunny in half an hour when I go out in the yard and clean the car with the pressure washer.

Might be a break Sunday night.

We have snow forecast for tomorrow.  :eek:

James

Ouch.  The forecast has already changed here saying it will be rubbish but fingers crossed.  Went out last night as Mars was looking good, got the powertank out, scope levelled and aligned but as soon as I started looking, the cloud came over.  Was fuming!

Hopefully I can have another look tonight as got my IR blocker today so would love to have a go at capturing Mars. 

We've had rain, sleet, hail and even some clear sky here in the balmy south west this evening.  And it's only a week and a half until April!  Our weather is just getting stranger and stranger.  If I saw the four horsemen of the apocalypse out this evening I'd probably have to tell them they were late for the party.

James

It's sunny-ish here this morning and the forecast for snow has been replaced, but the clouds look so ominous that I'm not sure I'm feeling quite brave enough to take all the kit out and set up for some solar stuff in case the heavens open :(

James

It's looking rather bleak here but the forcast for between midnight and 3am is promising tonight with indications that the seeing will be good.  Going for a drink at a friends later so will head home around midnight I think and get the scope out the back with the caps on to cool down (I'm a little worries about dew as it's to be quite chilly).

I have my IR blocker for my webcam so fingers crossed the weather holds up, I don't get too drunk and can have a go on Mars and Saturn :grin:  

Ready for a long session tonight - a little gusty for deep sky, but looks clear for most of the night for Jupiter, Mars and Saturn.   Unisys 300mb looks good for some reasonable seeing.

post-26731-0-06655700-1395498088_thumb.g

Just re-collimated the scope and changed the image train to try the Revelation x2.5 - fingers crossed!

Looks as though it may well be very gusty here too, but I've just set up the NEQ6 in the lee of the house so I should have a passable view of Jupiter and Mars in a certain amount of shelter assuming the forecast can be trusted.

James

I do envy you that NEQ6, but for planetary I'm not too worried about a little wobble with the gusts - it will be worse for me on Jupiter as I'll have a fair amount of OTA above the roll off, but Mars and Saturn at lower elevations should be manageable.     Hope you're mounting the C925 for tonights sess!

Hope you're mounting the C925 for tonights sess!

That is my intention.  My flip mirror arrived this morning too which is very timely, though it's all going to look a bit mad when I have the external focuser, flip mirror, filter wheel and camera on the back of the SCT.  I have no idea how that will work out in terms of effective focal length and whether I might end up having to look for a sub 2x barlow to get a bit more image scale (but not too much).  Or even change things to be focuser->2" 2x barlow->flip mirror->filter wheel->camera.  Somehow I don't fancy that though.

James

James

Oh dear.  I just went out thinking that a little cloud here and there wouldn't be a problem for getting the mount polar aligned.  it probably wouldn't.  Unfortunately it's also raining stair rods.  I'm not at all sure there's going to be any play tonight at all :(

James

Still a fair bit of cloud here though it may be clearing slightly.  Seeing looks fairly atrocious however.  I have scaled back my ambitions for tonight purely to getting my mount aligned properly.

James

We were forecast clear all night. Got the kids to go upstairs eventually. Lovely and clear. Got the LB out. Collimated. All set. Almost total cloud cover when I looked up. Couldn't believe it. Them got a call of nature. Came back out to find it raining all over the scope!! Temper fraying somewhat.....

Clearing again but my mood is telling me to pack it in and go to bed

Gotta love this astronomy thing...

Barry

Just had another check.  Looks like it might be improving though the seeing does look pretty rough.  I might have a go at doing the alignment now and then get everything covered up and leave it until tomorrow, which is actually looking a bit more promising...

James

Drizzling on and off here now, too.  Given up for the night and brought the scope in.  Cracked the top on a bottle of Jack Daniels instead.  I can't sit about getting nothing useful done because the weather can't decide if it's going to play ball or not :(

James

Archived