Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When is this weather going to end??

Skooby

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BBC weather forcast is still showing clear in my area, it is fully clouded over. The newly aquires Quattro 8s is balanced and still waiting to have its first outing.

Regards,

A.G

BBC forecasts seem to be less accurate at weekends because, I suspect, they aren't updated so often due to staff being off work for the weekend. All they seem to do is extrapolate from Fridays forecast! 

ChrisH

BBC forecasts seem to be less accurate at weekends because, I suspect, they aren't updated so often due to staff being off work for the weekend. All they seem to do is extrapolate from Fridays forecast! 

ChrisH

Quite possible Chris, nothing surprises me anymore. Is there a way to access weather satellite data from our laptops?

A.G

BBC weather is updated even at weekends with live weather forecasts.but lets face it... if you are relying on the bbc to give accurate weather forcasts...then you are asking for trouble

I can't complain as I've had lots of viewing evenings right from the first night I picked up my new Dob a few weeks ago and although I haven't been able to view this past 7days (New Baby arrival), it looks like I wouldn't have been able to due to the cloud cover in SW London. So this made me feel a little less viewing deprived (hope I spelt the correct word) :grin:  

Holy Moley......Gloucester is clear from 9pm to 4am.....now all i need to do is persuade the wife to go to bed early......without me....I am sure there is a thread in the Lounge that talks about "you know when you are old when"......I think that's me. :grin:

Fingers crossed it doesn't change!

Clear skies for everyone!

Hang on a minute!!! what's going on . the Sun is out, and BBC Weather is looking like its O.K. till 11pm ish. Time to get ready for the Brightest Mars in 7 years. Woohoo!!! ;)

Oh how I long for an entire clear night :(

Or even a clear hour? It was crisp on Friday night but I was knackered and had another day of work on Saturday so gave it a miss. I'm watching rain lash my windows now and wondering if I regret that decision. Tomorrow looks hopeful though - I'm optimistic of a chance to view the Martian opposition!

DD

It's been grey and miserable all day here, and then, about an hour before sunset, the sky started to clear.  Still a very cold north-easterly wind, but clear-ish sky nonetheless.

As darkness starts to fall however the cloud has come rushing back in.  Might work out ok for Jake, but I think it's "game over" for me this evening.

James

Been chucking it down here lately. There may be some clear patches tomorrow after 8 o/c but I'm not holding my breath.

Why? The longer you hold your breath, the more clouds you'll clear away with one blow :D

Well it lasted for an hour or so, just got to see Mars, thank goodness. and a good look at the Moon through the 12mm BST  Wow!! great detail.

but unfortunately again!! I wasted precious time trying to set up the Synscan.  GRrr!!

anyway here's to the next clear one. Hoorah!!  ;)

It's been grey and miserable all day here, and then, about an hour before sunset, the sky started to clear.  Still a very cold north-easterly wind, but clear-ish sky nonetheless.

As darkness starts to fall however the cloud has come rushing back in.  Might work out ok for Jake, but I think it's "game over" for me this evening.

Sorry James but it did indeed stay clear down this way - good transparency and fair seeing, though the wind is very fresh at times and certainly not ideal.    I've just started my new job today - consultant IT manager for the local NHS Trust, so I daren't stay up late - though I did shoot three very quick runs on Jupiter.

Looks like tomorrow night may offer better conditions and seeing, so fingers crossed you get better luck for the triple ;)

Best of luck with the new job, Jake.  You got the gig because you're the one person on the island who knows how to reboot the Windows server when it goes wrong? :D  Must be an unusual situation for an NHS trust though, operating across the entire island but only dealing with a population of a large town.

Tomorrow has hints of being good, but frankly I'm way beyond believing weather forecasts any more.  A clump of seaweed nailed to the door would be as reliable.

James

I had a look out of my bedroom window as I was turning in, beautifully clear. Unfortunately the mount and 'scope were indoors due to the soaking we'd had, but I put my fleece on anyway and went out to have a look, eyeball only. Potentially very dark / transparent, but the moon was now low over the houses so no point in trying to put the 'scope on it, and the moon-wash ruled out imaging. Without the moon I reckon it would have been getting on for Bortle 6, almost unheard of in London for years. New LEDs?

The forecast is looking hopeful from 8 o/c tonight so I've just put the Mak out to cool in the shade.

On Easter holidays ATM, but stuck here waiting for Amazon to deliver and getting bored out of my skull. I might just buy a CCD package. Or not as the case may be.

Forecast looks promising at the moment from the Met Office for our group's dark site... Clear all night. I'm getting all excited! But wait sat24 doesn't fill me with confidence....

Archived