Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC410 & friends * 6 pane mosaic in colour * brightness alert!!!

swag72

** Brightness alert - Pick up your sunglasses or I can not be responsible for burnt retinas!!! **

Finally I have reached the end of this marathon. I started this mosaic back on the 9th November and I've not worked on anything else since. I can't believe that it's taken me 2 months to get.

I initially posted the mono Ha version and this will grow further I promise. The colour version will NOT grow, this really is it!

I hesitate to say this is bi colour, as I suppose that in the image sense of the word it is more Hubble palette, but it consists of only Ha and OIII - So from a strict information point of view it is bi colour!

Processing wise it was a nightmare, taking many hours as the OIII as per usual was swamped by the Ha signal and it was tricky to process for all of the main targets.

I welcome all thoughts, good bad and indifferent :smiley: I know this is not everyone's cup of tea.

Details

M: Avalon Linear fast reverse
T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x
C: Atik 460EXM with 3nm Ha and OIII filters

152 x 1800s totalling 76 hours of exposure time

11835230684_bd3a58784e_c.jpg
IC410, IC405, IC417 and NGC1931 (The tadpoles Flaming star, spider and fly) in colour by swag72, on Flickr

If you are interested there's a larger version here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ic410_bi_colour.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks very much folks - Glad that you like it. I know it's a little like Marmite!!

@Paul - I ended up doing so many things to try to get it how I expected it, I've probably added goodness knows what to some channel or another :grin:

:glasses9: Bright ? where :p , like on Flickr Sara this is more forgiving on the retina's, it's a beautiful montage of some stunning space art, i am glad you dropped the hammer on going any further though as i was waiting to see this outcome & it does not dissapoint, well done.

So that's what the middle of Auriga looks like.... From Spain! Excellent image, stunning, really captivating. Beautiful clouds! Though you must be relieved that marathon is over! Wear the medal with pride!

What's next Sara?!

Thanks for the warning. I managed to fit a peltier to the back of the laptop just in time :)

How did you manage to give all the stars that touch of colour ? The stars between 410 and 405 seem to hover above it all and look 3D.

IC 410 looks lovely and appears to be a vast open area unlike the smudge that I managed.

Now you can relax and rest. Until tomorrow,

Dave.

So. Doing the RGB next then ? :hiding:

Magnificent Sara!

I guess revealing the wonderful colour concoction is like give away the secret formula of coke! But one thing is clear: no need to spend a fortune in the SII Astrdon!

Superb image,

Cheers

E.

I would gladly tell you the formula if I knew what it was!! Each time I've done one of these orange concoctions I've messed around so much I've no idea how I got there :grin:

:glasses9: Bright ? where :p , like on Flickr Sara this is more forgiving on the retina's, it's a beautiful montage of some stunning space art, i am glad you dropped the hammer on going any further though as i was waiting to see this outcome & it does not dissapoint, well done.

Cheers Ewan!

So that's what the middle of Auriga looks like.... From Spain! Excellent image, stunning, really captivating. Beautiful clouds! Though you must be relieved that marathon is over! Wear the medal with pride!

What's next Sara?!

It's a relief that the marathon is over - I didn't realise how long it had taken until I looked at the date of that first sub!!

Thanks for the warning. I managed to fit a peltier to the back of the laptop just in time :)

How did you manage to give all the stars that touch of colour ? The stars between 410 and 405 seem to hover above it all and look 3D.

IC 410 looks lovely and appears to be a vast open area unlike the smudge that I managed.

Now you can relax and rest. Until tomorrow,

Dave.

So. Doing the RGB next then ? :hiding:

You know that the last person who suggested I do more on this mosaic is now minus knee caps!!! :grin: You are treading on very thin ice! It came out OK in the end :smiley:

That is a ripper! Great colours, great framing and a great sense of what makes a good image. Well done, encore, encore! :grin:  :grin:

I've been working on two objects for a couple of months too, one being a 9 panel mosaic in SIIHaOIII so I understand what you are saying. Still, it is better to set your mind and concentrate on your chosen task and get a great result like you have than jump all over the sky and get rubbishy bits of everything. If you only produce 3 images a year and they are rippers, that gives the best satisfaction, I'm sure. :cool:  :cool:

Holy Macaroni, you've done it again! This is, obvioulsy, a really striking image.

My initial thought was that it looked a little 'hard,' as the French would say. (Pronounced 'Aaaard, of course!!) However, that's partly the forum's sever. Also, seen closer up, the 'hardness' turns out to be detail which keeps on coming. Very impressive.

Great colour contrast for the Tadpoles.

Very interesting how, in HaO111, IC410 begins to resemble the Flying Bat nebula. It goes from spherical to horshoe-shaped.

Doesn't Flickr cost you a fair bit of resolution? It used to do so, which is why I stopped using it.

Olly

Very, very nice as usual, Sara.

I'm tempted to agree with Olly that it does look a little hard on first sight, but as he also says it's detail and anyway I can't bring myself to criticise such a gorgeous image.

Very, very nice as usual, Sara.

I'm tempted to agree with Olly that it does look a little hard on first sight, but as he also says it's detail and anyway I can't bring myself to criticise such a gorgeous image.

On this issue, maybe there's a case for slightly varying the processing for very different image scales. It doesn't arise with normal sized pictures but mosaics might benefit from subtly different processing between small and large format. For instance, aggressive star reduction is good for small formats but not so hot at full size. (That doesn't apply here BTW.)

Whatever, this is a thriller.

Olly

Thanks for the comments Olly, Ian and Bob - I don't normally link through Flickr, just did it as a bit of a short cut yesterday - Won't do it again, don't want to upset the French!!

By all means criticize the image if it needs it Ian :grin: I certainly have no issues with that at all - Unless your crit is going to be that you want to see the spike beneath aka Mr Penrice. He is lucky to still have his life after that suggestion!!!

Oh my gosh Sara that is simply incredible. The choice of colour mapping is genius. With so much detail and colour choice the flaming star area really does look like its on fire. The clarity is breathtaking and i could only sit and stare for ages. The dedication you have put in on so many hours of imaging and processing is equally remarkable. I hope you feel the brilliance of the image is just reward for your commitment.  

Archived