Hi From Darkest Kent, UK

Cygnus_X1

Despite living only a mile from the M25 motorway, the skies around here are actually fairly dark...mainly because there is nothing but forest and farmland for miles to the south.

My interest in astronomy goes all the way back to comet Kohoutek in 1973/74. Despite it not being the 'comet of the century' ( hmm, where have we heard that since ), it was actually a reasonable object in my first telescope.  I've since seen comet Kobayashi-Berger-Milon in 1975, Comet West in 1976, comet D'arrest in 1976, and numerous others since.

My main interest is comets and novas.

I independently discovered Nova Cygni in August 1975. Indeed, I rang up Patrick Moore ( actually got through ) and was disappointed to find that someone in Japan had discovered the nova just a few hours earlier.

These days I use the University of Hertfordshire all sky web cams, some of which provide amazingly good pics down to magnitude 8 or more, to search for any new nova. I have the web cam pic open in one half of the screen, and the fish-eye view from Stellarium ( great astronomy software ) open in the other half. Using this method I might actually get there first next time.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL, you will find a mine of information here I am sure of it.  Oh! and by the way (I will be the first to kick of...) you do know that ISON is not a comet?  Apparently (according to various Youtuber's) it a 26 mile wide alien mothership.  Looking forward to add that one to my imaging collection!

Archived