Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saddleworth star camp

Okay friends, just over 2 weeks till this star party, i heard a rumour we are due some nice weather so fingers crossed for this event, still time to book a place if you fancy a nice little social

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to need another camping mat, and make sure my power tank is charged up! Might need a bigger better camping stove too - my little trangia doens't half take ages to make a cuppa!

Gotta love astronomy - so many excuses to spend cash, lol.

Really looking forward to this now - only two weekends to go!

Don't know whether to bring the 150mm f10 frac or the 4" f13 frac... . Maybe if I'm clever about packing, I can get them both in :grin:.

I have had a quick look at stellarium and friday 25th April and saturday 26th look good, there is a last quarter moon that will please the Luna people (me), this moon phase is nice for imaging but will be up for most of the night, so will have a bit of an effect on DSO work, 

I would like to go with this weekend, though work may get in the way for me and i cant tell what they have planned as yet, it may be i have to shift from friday-saturday to saturday-sunday of this weekend

See post #5 - friday 25th April and saturday 26th

Ian

Hello all.  Just to confirm I've just booked via the campsite.  Afraid its only for the one night, Friday, as a wedding attendance is required on the Saturday.  All I need to do now is to purchase a tent.  LOL

Looking forward to meeting everyone as much as the actual observing session. 

John

Hi Guys, it seems a small mistake has been made on setting this up, when i first looked at this date i thought we would have a small moon present through most of the night, but having checked again on stellarium this is not the case, as the mon is a daytime object over this weekend, though for most of you i think this will be a bonus, as more can be done on deep sky work, plus we have mars at opposition and saturn to go at  

Hi Guys, it seems a small mistake has been made on setting this up, when i first looked at this date i thought we would have a small moon present through most of the night, but having checked again on stellarium this is not the case, as the mon is a daytime object over this weekend, though for most of you i think this will be a bonus, as more can be done on deep sky work, plus we have mars at opposition and saturn to go at 

No worries Jules - plenty of stuff to look at :) Be interesting to see what the Istar makes of DSOs from a dark(ish) site too... .

Weather has been very windy at Moorlands this weekend - which is typical. The top field is very exposed so hope things quieten down for your visit. The wind has been coming from the North East so cold. There was quite a few tents in the field on Friday - not sure how many stuck it out all weekend!

Looking forward to meeting you here

Pete Lodge

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

We can choose the venue, choose the gear and the time of year.......................but we are always going to be at the mercy of weather, things can change between now and the weekend, lets all stay positive

Mmmm - the forecast is really changeable, isn't it? Friday looking not good for observing (although if I get there reasonably early at least I could pitch my tent in the dry), but Saturday looks as if it has potential! Will take a view tomorrow am... . 

Hope to be onsite just after lunch. I would appreciate help putting the first poles of my tent up if anyone is free as Dave an astronomer friend who is sharing it with me can't get there until about 8pm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Archived