Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party 2014

jamespels

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everybody...

The (probably!) final programme for PSP2014 has now been announced, including the chance to win a Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dob in our Bottle Rocket competition!!! Lots of practical aspects as well as the usual talks, with several of the guys on here running a series of sessions through the day.

We have also sorted out the beanie hat and bumper sticker designs and need to make minimum orders of 20 each so please order now if you are interested in them.

Many thanks,

James.

Hi everybody...

The (probably!) final programme for PSP2014 has now been announced, including the chance to win a Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dob in our Bottle Rocket competition!!! Lots of practical aspects as well as the usual talks, with several of the guys on here running a series of sessions through the day.

We have also sorted out the beanie hat and bumper sticker designs and need to make minimum orders of 20 each so please order now if you are interested in them.

Many thanks,

James.

Can i order a beanie and bumper sticker and pay for them on the Friday when i get there just bought a tent only get paid now the week before i come to P2P.

Can i order a beanie and bumper sticker and pay for them on the Friday when i get there just bought a tent only get paid now the week before i come to P2P.

Sure - just order it on the site and select pay by cheque. Please have cash to pay at the gate as we will never get it sorted otherwise!

Thanks,

James.

Sure - just order it on the site and select pay by cheque. Please have cash to pay at the gate as we will never get it sorted otherwise!

Thanks,

James.

General comment on this - anybody paying on line will be fully refunded if we do not make the minimum orders...

Saturn field is slowly but surely filling up, though we do still have a few non-electric places left there.

Not sure if it is my radio silence over summer, the weather last year or Kielder's extra weekend (or all three) but pitches in this field are usually gone by June so there is still a great opportunity for anybody wanting to come. Book soon, though, because they are definitely filing!

Thanks, James

And the countdown begins - just three weeks to PSP2014!

Allocations page is now up to date (sorry I have not done this sooner!) and we are down to the last half dozen Saturn pitches if you want to get onto this field.

Welcome Packs will be coming out next weekend so get ready with tonic bottles for the Bottle Rocket rules - need to be a bit more careful about pointy ones this year!

J.

Anybody interested in Radio Astronomy?

The Rosliston Radio Astronomy Group (http://www.radioastronomy.me.uk/) are setting up a Radio Jove receiver at PSP2014.

Andrew Thornett (owner of the kit) is happy for anybody interested to get involved with setting it up on the Saturday.

Andrew will also have a couple of meteor watching receivers running through the weekend.

Bookings Now Open!!!

PSP2014 is confirmed for 17 to 20 October at Shallow Grange - we have booked warm days and clear nights for the whole weekend...!

Bookings through the website at http://www.peakstarparty.com as normal. We have restricted the website to existing users until the end of the month, when bookings will be opened to everybody else.

Plans for the weekend are well under way and Shallow Grange have been brilliant in helping out with wet weather planning (in case!) - details to follow later on.

Thanks all, and see you next October,

PSP.

James, if i want to do day pass on the saturday, can i pay on the day?

Day Pass on the Saturday is fine and pay at the gate - £5 per person from whenever you arrive to about midday next day (we are not precious!); no limits on access to events, etc.

Parking is in the field outside the barrier but no worries with driving up to drop kit off if you want to leave it in the main bit. Just need to be a bit careful about collecting it afterwards as red light rules will apply if the weather is decent.

Gates open and manned 10 am through 2pm - do please try to arrive in those hours to give the volunteers a break!

Cheers,

James.

Hi all - need a favour from you. Can you save an bring along any 1.5L fizzy drink bottles you use between now and PSP for the bottle rocket comp? Tonic bottles are ideal.

Please leave labels on as we have to be sure they are fizzy drink bottles - non-fizzy drink bottles are not strong enough.

Many thanks,

James.

Unofficial Met Office Weather Forecast from John Cotterill, 3 Oct 2014...

Still a good signal for winds from the west, south west.  This would mean high pressure centred over the near continent, with low pressure centred somewhere to the north west of the UK.  I would expect it to be mild and changeable, not unlike it is at the moment!  Some nice days with sunshine and clear nights, other days cloudy with some rain and showers about.  I am fairly optimistic of some cloud breaks at night but that will depend entirely upon the timing of any frontal systems crossing the UK in this kind of synoptic set up.

Rest of the weather forecasts here: http://www.peakstarparty.co.uk/index.php/psp-weather-forecast

Unofficial Met Office Weather Forecast from John Cotterill, 3 Oct 2014...

Still a good signal for winds from the west, south west. This would mean high pressure centred over the near continent, with low pressure centred somewhere to the north west of the UK. I would expect it to be mild and changeable, not unlike it is at the moment! Some nice days with sunshine and clear nights, other days cloudy with some rain and showers about. I am fairly optimistic of some cloud breaks at night but that will depend entirely upon the timing of any frontal systems crossing the UK in this kind of synoptic set up.

Rest of the weather forecasts here: http://www.peakstarparty.co.uk/index.php/psp-weather-forecast

"We are hoping that it will be clear but there is a chance that it may not be, with a 50/50 chance of rain, but we are not too sure ;-)"

Ian

Archived