Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Peak Star Party 2014

jamespels

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stu and the rest of the Peakers,

I was thinking of going to a Peak event, but as I do the Cumbria in September and my favourite Galloway in November it is difficult to fit in another star party.

If the Peak party is not available, there is an alternative......... The Brecon Beacons star party...

http://www.breconbeacons.org/stargazing

I spoke to one of the Brecon Beacons Park commissioners, a very pleasant character, he is a ranger I believe in the park.

We discussed the website and how it glorifies the dark sky status by showing a video that features a brightly lit house!!!

I have also emailed the Brecon office a few days after they released the video and asked if an astronomers was involved.

I never got an answer.

There is / was a star party there in 2013, not sure about 2014

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188275-astrocamp-brecon-beacons-sept-2013/

The Brecons away from the towns is very dark. I have walked the mountains numerous times over the last 30 years.

Maybe we should do more investigation of the area.

Must stop...... As I have started the selection and checking of the gear for the Cumbria party which starts in less than two weeks.

Cheers

Adrian

I Will be surprised if James doesn't surface soon. Stop panicking ! Lol

Fortuitous timing!!!

Right, nowhere else to start but humblest apologies for the dead air in the last few months. In a few words: DIY, another sodding new job, managing to spend just one and a half days with my family over the entire summer holidays and another dead booking system. The first three are my problem and the last is what lead to my earlier comment that this is the last time I am doing this - the event planning is great but the pain of dealing with a flaky booking system, trying to track down payments and so on on top of real life is a killer for me. I really need to offload this bit and have a few ideas though any offers of assistance still welcome on that front. Paul C had to drop out of planning early on, too, and he has previously been very good at reminding me I actually need to talk to people...

The booking system has been very dead, possibly for the last couple of months, but is now back in the land of the living following a morning of TLC and system upgrades. All payments have been reconciled bar four people (and I have emailed them) so all is well. Just need to get the numbers back up now.

The programme is woefully out of date and, looking back through the messages above and a handful of PMs that have been waiting for me to see them for several months, I need to rely on a lot of good grace if I am going to get the help I should have been asking for back in Jan (Nick, Stuart, here's looking at you in particular!). We have a functional programme in place for the science-y talks and I know what I want to achieve for the rest but that is only half the battle. Nick, Stuart and Shane - I will drop you all a PM shortly...

So, yes, PSP2014 is definitely still on; we have a bit of catching up to do on the prep front but six weeks is plenty; trade and other stands are sorted; location is sorted; we have plenty of marshals and assistant marshals; food is sorted; local supermarkets know to expect a rush on Jaffa Cakes and we have an order in for three days of glorious sunshine and clear night skies...

Cheers,

James.

Ok so we've made our plans for tents and food - but what are we looking forward to seeing (other than the bacon nutty van in the mornings!)

I'll kick off with Saturday when Jupiter will rise above the moon in the early morning there will be a Ganymede transit. I love a good transit!

What else are we hoping to see?

Sunshine and clear skies on order this year. We even have the Met Office on site to put it right if not (not sure John would agree that is what he is there for, though!).

Just looking forward to one good night with low moisture - it really does get dark in good conditions.

Sunshine and clear skies on order this year. We even have the Met Office on site to put it right if not (not sure John would agree that is what he is there for, though!).

Should we knock some stocks together and charge for the tomatoes to go along with the quiz if the weather is not as ordered he he.

I have a bit of pressure on space this year because Mrs Maksutov and the baby will be in the car with me.

I hope I can squeeze the Vixen in, would be a shame not to get it under dark skies. Outside that it will be probably the TV85 plus Herschel Wedge and Tak 76 with Quark, assuming it arrives but should do.

Also must make sure I get some repairs done in the tent, a broken pole and a couple of fastenings have gone so best to get them sorted incase there's a blow on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another question for you all...

We have several volunteers to guide small groups or "buddy up" with people looking for assistance with observing. If you are interested (or willing to volunteer too), can you please let us know on here?

Many thanks,

James

I will have the 200P, 130PDS and Altair Astro 70ED with an EQ5 and AZ4, so whatever is being used for imaging on the EQ5 one of the smaller scopes will be on the AZ4 for a bit of visual.

Anyone is welcome to drop by (Saturn 1) for a look and a chat, especially if they bring Mint Viscounts.

if it's clear anyone is welcome to join me or set up (not too) near me and I can help with either finding things, showing things or the principle of how to do either.

same applies for a bit of solar in the daytime - white light with frac/lunt wedge definitely and Ha with a Lunt 50 subject to delivery in time.

Another question for you all...

We have several volunteers to guide small groups or "buddy up" with people looking for assistance with observing. If you are interested (or willing to volunteer too), can you please let us know on here?

Many thanks,

James

I would be happy to point out the stars and constellations to anyone who wants to wander down to Saturn 24/25

Damian

Archived