Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 9 - Bookings

daz

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just over a month to go, time to check the camping gear to see if its ok. This time im considering getting a storage tent where I can put stuff that would otherwise get in the way - food/water supplies etc.. stuff that wont mind the cold. A bigger bed would be nice too.

Hi all,

not an experienced camper, so 2 immediate questions come to mind ---

1) considering the recent weather and how damp the ground is likely to be, would it be wise to acquire some longer tent pegs, or maybe 'wider' ones??

2) Im gonna be there to enjoy myself, which means as little 'cooking' as possible, Have purchased tickets for the Friday and Saturday evening food, will the onsite cafe be open to provide me what I need at the remaining 'meal' times?? (arrive Thurs and leave Sunday)

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Hi all,

not an experienced camper, so 2 immediate questions come to mind ---

1) considering the recent weather and how damp the ground is likely to be, would it be wise to acquire some longer tent pegs, or maybe 'wider' ones??

2) Im gonna be there to enjoy myself, which means as little 'cooking' as possible, Have purchased tickets for the Friday and Saturday evening food, will the onsite cafe be open to provide me what I need at the remaining 'meal' times?? (arrive Thurs and leave Sunday)

Thanks in advance.

Rick

if its really really muddy i dont think any type of tent peg will help.  they just slide through the water/mud but i suppose longer would help and always put in at an angle.  I think folks will check a bit nearer the time whether the site is accessible or not.  Quite a lot of flooding around there.

Good call on the food, its easier than cooking :)

Velvet

I seem to recall the cafe was only open for dinners for the weekend last year - does anyone know if that's still true this year? I'm hoping to come down a few days earlier than planned - from Tuesday - so would be good to know :)

If the cafe is closed at any time, the is a great fish and chip shop about ten minutes drive from the campsite in Hereford. SGL6 was my first SGL star party and the campsite cafe did not exist then. I can highly recomend the chip shop.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Rick,

On the question of pegs, I use about four different types. Long strong pegs are useful.

There are rails around the sites, on really windy days I have tied two guidelines around the rails.

Wait for Mark to report back on the condition of the site before doing anything.

The site is bounded by the river Wye so could possibly been flooded.

The site cafe opened in March 2012 around mid-week, if memory serves me correctly.

The service was a bit slow because the layout was not quite right.

Garry the site owner decided last year to improve the layout and get some new equipment to speed up the service.

The equipment was a little late in been installed, this meant that the site cafe did not open till Thursday morning.

A number of us early arrivers found a cafe on an industrial estate in Hereford which did good plateful breakfasts.

The site cafe food is good and reasonably price.

The Moon Inn pub in Mordiford, about a mile from the site does excellent meals at lunchtime and in the evening.

They are more expensive than the camp site. I have used the pub on numerous occasions and have always been

made very welcome by the bar staff and more importantly by the locals who are great laugh.

Cheers

Adrian

I passed the site a few days ago and stopped to check out the site. Although the river is in flood it has NOT breeched the banks or flooded the site.

Some fields on the other side of the river have some surface water (splashes) as we in Wales call them, this is due to being waterlogged and not flooding from the river. 

ok, good info people.

think that main meals are sorted, one way or another,so will only concern myself with snacks and beverages.

Reading about previous outings here, it seems that Jaffa cakes are the 'bribe of choice' should i need some help, so will look to stock up on those, cos im gonna needs lots of help.    :p

With regard to tent pegs, think I'll visit my local camping outlet and see whats available, for what they'll probably cost I think I'd rather have some I dont need than need some I dont have!!

Cheers

Rick

Hi,

I agree with Rae, the sausages are first class, the eggs are superb, they actually taste like eggs!

The pegs I have bought cost 75p each, but they are extremely strong and don't bend.

If the field is flooded, then an anchor may be a better investment.

I agree Jaffa Cakes are an essential item.

Cheers

Adrian

I learned at SGL8 that whisky to drown sorrows during snowstorms is not remotely helpful when the skies clear and you're then not up to getting the scope out  :rolleyes:

Nor the local cider......

Staggering from the 'frazzle' tent to the pool where scope was kept, was tough.....

Hi Tony,

I agree wooden pegs would not fit through the brass rings, so a spare piece of guideline rope could be cut into loops that go through the rings and around the pegs.

The alternative to wooden pegs would be a number of the steel pegs gaffa taped together.

I have never seen frozen whiskey, it never gets the chance with me!!

See you there.

Cheers

Adrian

The ground is a bit soft and I have had to pitch my tent on the hard standings. The cafe will be open all the time during SGL9 I am told. Skies are looking good ar the moment.

Thats why i prefer Vodka - Superb neat at -30C

Can't argue with that!

I just had a weekend at Kelling Heath with the Mrs and our new puppy. Was in perfect condition if not a little cold. They have turned the low red pitch numbers into fully serviced pitches.

Can't wait to get to SGL9...

The ground is a bit soft and I have had to pitch my tent on the hard standings. The cafe will be open all the time during SGL9 I am told. Skies are looking good ar the moment.

Thanks for the update. We could do with some dry windy days now to firm up the ground.

Only 4 weeks to go for it to become tolerable to camping.

Archived