Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 9 - Bookings

daz

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point! I'm sure I've heard of people sticking vodka in the freezer?

At tempting as the bins were, I have gone for a more conventional hip flask, just need some single malt now and, more importantly, some genuine Jaffa cakes (my fake ones did not go down well last time!).

Thats why i prefer Vodka - Superb neat at -30C

Mark - I got to the campsite on Tuesday at about three in the afternoon. I had wanted to go on Saturday night when it opened but it was cloudy. As I only live an hours drive away on Cardiff, I decided to come up on the next clear night when the moon was still fairly new.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. We could do with some dry windy days now to firm up the ground.

Only 4 weeks to go for it to become tolerable to camping.

We might be in luck, the fair weather forecast for next week should help dry things up nicely.

I always view the SGL starparty as social event :) A good chance to meet the people I have been chatting online with and put names to faces :D

It is always great fun and so much more than a 'trip out to the countryside'.

The moon is never boring to look at....if it is, then it's time to take up another hobby.

It'll have pretty well set by 2am anyway, even on the Sunday, and will be low enough not to bother anyone well before that, plus, earlier, if you're imaging there's always narrowband, and visually, clusters etc.

but, as has been pointed out, the main point of a starparty is summed up in the name......it's a social event. If your prime requirement is totally dark skies, then go and sit in a field in the Scottish highlands on your own.....won't be as much fun though. I wish I could make it.....missed last year due to work too.

Mmm - didn't mean to be controversial but surely the SGL site and dates have been chosen not just as a social event - other wise it could take place in a city centre somewhere.

I've been observing the night sky for over 50 years and personally, while not finding the moon boring, have always been more interested in other objects. I've never thought that if someone did find one aspect boring it was time for them to take up another hobby. Each to his own - and there is no need to 'sit in field on your own' either

Cheers

I do think your missing the point of a star party. 

It's a compromise, Lucksall isn't the darkest site, but its facilities are good its fairly central, the skies aren't bad. There are darker locations out there and we looked at many many sites before choosing Lucksall. But it is down the list if you purely look at the darkness of the skies.

If the moon is an issue for you then I'm sorry about that - we'll happily refund the cost of your pitch etc 

Thanks

Ant

As with many things, it's a compromise....I wish the dates had been a week earlier myself, as I'd have been able to go, but a bit of moon wouldn't spoil my enjoyment of what will be a great social and astronomical gathering one iota. I've been observing for nigh on 50 years too, and, as these days I'm primarily an imager,generally curse the moon, but when I stick an eyepiece in the scope and look at it, I still get the thrill I got as a kid :-). Personally, I'm dead jealous of those who can make it !

There is a valid point to this though as a week earlier would have given much darker skies and i agree with kerry that this would have been better.

moonset times are 0:17 on thurs night, 1:13 fri night, 2:01 sat night.

Im not after a refund either and im looking forward to it, but being a purely visual observer and a fan af faint fuzzies, a moonless high contrast sky would have been my preference too.

cheers

We can probably get the orbit of the moon changed for the star party. After all, we arranged for a volcano in Iceland to erupt and rid the skies of pesky aircraft con trails a couple of years back so anything is possible  :grin:

Last year I got 3 nights (and most of the days too) of rain so any sort of clear sky will be welcomed with open arms. It was still a really enjoyable event though :smiley:

I'm looking forward to this years event & catching up with folk plus I cant wait for the hog roast & breakfasts either :tongue:

Shame you can't make it this year Rob :sad:

You'll have a great time Kerry I was a bit nervous going to an SGL event the first time round but I shouldn't have been as everyone made me feel very welcome plus I've made some great friends too. :grin:

Well due to unforeseen events we now are not going to make SGL9, really sad as this will be the 1st one we have missed in 4 years. We therefore are looking to sell our pitch on for what it cost us, nights are Wednesday - Monday (leave Monday daytime) included are 2 x Hogroasts, Pitch is a Hard standing complete with electric, pm me if interested please.

Hi Kerry,

We held a Moon star party in Cumbria, it was very interesting seeing different aspects of the moon through different scopes etc.

The moon was going down just after mid-night, if memory serves me correctly.

The pluses are, saving on batteries for red lights, being able to see who is eating all your Jaffa Cakes, and easier to see where Alan is giving out cans of beer.

It is a very social environment and the majority really enjoy it.

I learn a lot there.

Hope to meet up with you.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived