Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Storm Alert.....

laser_jock99

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided to err on the cautious side.  I've broughts my scopes and cameras indoors and covered mount and pier with a heavy duty dustbin bag.  However, I had a nasty thought that if the wind was really exceptionally strong it could either rip the roof off or even upturn the whole shed and the mount could suffer physical damage from flying wood so I think I'll take it off and put it back in its packing case. 

its on and off raining here and fairly heavy winds already (sunny south wales) so i would think it be a good idea any one in the red zone of the metoffice maps to pack everything up,  its not worth damging your expensive equiptment over a few hours to set it all back up again......   the term  storm of 1987 has been bounced and compared to a fair bit last few days and we all know what happened back then

I've decided to err on the cautious side.  I've broughts my scopes and cameras indoors and covered mount and pier with a heavy duty dustbin bag.  However, I had a nasty thought that if the wind was really exceptionally strong it could either rip the roof off or even upturn the whole shed and the mount could suffer physical damage from flying wood so I think I'll take it off and put it back in its packing case. 

It's better to be safe than sorry. 

I've now packed the EQ8 away in it's superb packing case and brought laptop and monitor indoors plus a few other things.  As you say - better safe than sorry.

I put the heavy duty cover over the mount and scopes. Even if the roof was to blow off (this is lashed down) it protects them from water.

Most importantly I've switched off the electrics to the obsy at the fuse board and bought in all the bits that will suffer.

The pictures of Ginas roof, from the last heavy wind we had, was enough to make me go and put extra lashings on last year.

Got four latches securing my roof from inside, they'll take 300kg each, but still my scope etc is inside safe.

The shed i can rebuild should that be the case, the scope, mount and camera could not be replaced if they got destroyed.

It's blowing a hooley down here already, though I doubt we will top end of the warnings (80mph) - I think there's a tendency to over state the risk.    That said, I've tidied the garden and tied down anything too big to come in doors.    A lot of the trees around here still carry a lot of leaves, so would not be surprised if a few came down overnight.    Whilst this might improve the viewable horizon :) , a big tree falling would make short work of levelling most of our observatories!

I've also taken the precaution of isolating the electrics.

Hopefully the storm will pass without major damage, but no harm taking a few sensible precautions.

Thats all my gear inside now.

My house backs onto a park, there are STILL trees that came down in 87 lying on their sides, 200 year old oaks. Now if it gets as bad as 87  and that could tear up deep routed 200 year old trees how do you fancy your DIY OBs will stand up? its just not worth the risk for 48 hours and resetting up.

My OBs is freestanding on the concreate its heavy enough that it ddint budge in 30mph winds but 60-80, i don't know. Hopefully its still there in the morning.

raining here now, its a bit windy but isnt picking up yet as i expected. will wait till later. going to take the brunt of it down here.

i was on the lizard peninsula yesterday for football, now that was a windy place, wouldnt like to be down there tonight :eek:

Obsy secured as far as I can - additional bits of wood and steel with screws to hold the roof on and power unplugged - most gear indoors.  We are not quite as exposed to SW storms as we are to SE ones.  It was a SE storm that made my roof airborne a while back.

Our bedroom faces SW so will get the brunt of anything that comes our way, although I jokingly said to the wife I bet we sleep through it....

By bedroom is on the south side so I expect it will wake me up!  (Facing 16 degrees west of south to be exact.)

Archived