Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storm Alert.....

laser_jock99

We lost a HUGE willow..  whole thing came down, the 2foot trunk snapped about 10 foot from the ground.  Also lost a 50 foot cherry, at least the saplings growing in their shade appear to have survived.

Won't need to buy much firewood next winter!

Despite any advantages to the view gained, it's always sad to see familiar big trees down.   Though a shame to burn all of it!    If you have some space it might be worth saving and seasoning some of the cherry for turning - one seaoned it burnishes up really nicely.     It's a little messy, but you can turn this green to make blanks for seasoning off.

Not so sure on the willow and believe that cricket bats are made from a particular species.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about it..  I'll need some sidings for the obsy..  I wonder if it can be cut longways..  Willow would be the one to go for on shear volume.  We heat our whole house on wood, so burning it to me isn't a waste, just an alternative use.

I think I should call this "Heavy Kids"

IMG_9997.JPG

I think the problem with the willow is that the wood is very susceptible to rot, so not usually used in construction/cladding - I think something with a higher resin content like larch and cupressus is generally used.

I'd be tempted to log the willow and save some of the cherry if it looks good.     I've always wanted to have a go at charcoal making, which the smaller willow and cherry branches should be good for, though I think this might have the neighbours (and any local astronomers) up in arms unless you have a small holiding/farm.

The cherry sawdust and chippings can also be used for smoking (bacon, cheese, fish...)

I think the problem with the willow is that the wood is very susceptible to rot, so not usually used in construction/cladding - I think something with a higher resin content like larch and cupressus is generally used.

I'd be tempted to log the willow and save some of the cherry if it looks good.     I've always wanted to have a go at charcoal making, which the smaller willow and cherry branches should be good for, though I think this might have the neighbours (and any local astronomers) up in arms unless you have a small holiding/farm.  

You know, that hadn't occurred to me.  I have a load of willow I planted in a damp area that I want to coppice.  I'd not thought what to do with it, but having a go at making charcoal could be a real laugh.  And if it works I can use it on the barbie.  I'm sure I could manage to get enouigh for the three days it's pleasant enough to have one next year.

James

You know, that hadn't occurred to me.  I have a load of willow I planted in a damp area that I want to coppice.  I'd not thought what to do with it, but having a go at making charcoal could be a real laugh.  And if it works I can use it on the barbie.  I'm sure I could manage to get enouigh for the three days it's pleasant enough to have one next year.

James

I see you've already read the long range forecast promising another Indian Summer (Monsoon)!

Coppiced willow is quite marketable if you want to set up a jig and get the kids to weave some hurdles or baskets - could be quite a good source of pocket money.    Or on a larger scale 4-6 hurdles per Delos!    Though there might be less labour intensive methods for funding your astro purchases ;)

Oh, stop giving me ideas! :D

I have some hazel I was already thinking of coppicing for hurdles.  Making up some low hurdles would actually be excellent for keeping the rabbits off my cabbages.

James

Oh, stop giving me ideas! :D

I have some hazel I was already thinking of coppicing for hurdles.  Making up some low hurdles would actually be excellent for keeping the rabbits off my cabbages.

James

I'm no authority on this, though did make some hazel panels many years ago, but had to split the hazel sticks which slowed things down quite a lot.    With the willow I think you can use this much smaller and in the round, though stouter hazel poles might make better sails/staffs.    The willow can also grow faster, though much depends ground conditions.    There also a bit of fashion for living willow fencing if you can cut to order.

Archived