Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storm Alert.....

laser_jock99

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the North East for once isn't going to get the brunt of the winds, the Met Office is currently suggesting gust of up to 45 mph for these parts.  That's OK, but if it's likely to get any worse I like to strap things down:

post-5202-0-12900000-1382777610_thumb.jppost-5202-0-41768800-1382777659_thumb.jp

I've seen forecasts of possibly 90mph.  The weather map I saw looks like it's going right across the south.  Scopes and mount and cables already indoors.  Might remove my home made dome cover as I don't want that to fly away only just having made it.   Hopefully the POD will be OK but don't want to take any chances. 

Carole

Not sure you're not getting days mixed up ...

The Met's issued Amber warnings Gina ... Storm force winds gusting 80-90 mph on Sunday night through Monday .

post-13131-0-48889900-1382814865_thumb.p  post-13131-0-08315800-1382814875_thumb.p

Dunkeswell  Airfield is the nearest MET weather station and about 5 miles away as the crow flies it is also at a similar height (slightly higher).

attachicon.gifWeather 1.PNG  attachicon.gifWeather 2.PNG

Dunkeswell  Airfield is the nearest MET weather station and about 5 miles away as the crow flies it is also at a similar height (slightly higher).

Gina,

The BBC site just shows 'average' wind speeds and not gusts, the Met Office site shows both: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/dunkeswell-aerodrome-devon#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1382918400

Having said that, they are saying that the worst gust for you is just 53mph at 03:00 on Monday - I've sneezed harder than that :smile:

the worst gust for you is just 53mph at 03:00 on Monday - I've sneezed harder than that :smile:

"Did you know that when you sneeze, it comes out of your nose at a hundred miles an hour?"

One of my favourite films of all time :D

James

BBC Radio Devon are still warning of storm to hurricane force winds :(  I don't think I will be relying on the BBC Weather Dunkeswell forecast.  No, the EQ8 won't be going anywhere - not only is it heavy in itself but it bolted down to a tonne of concrete going a couple of feet plus into the ground :D  THe obsy is bolted down to rather smaller 18" cube concrete blocks - 6 in all.  The roof is attached to the main obsy framework by a half inch steel gate latch and matching eye bolt screwed into the framework on the windward side and a half inch aluminium rod gointo the corner post in the SE corner.  I think it's pretty secure.

BBC Radio Devon are still warning of storm to hurricane force winds :(  I don't think I will be relying on the BBC Weather Dunkeswell forecast.  No, the EQ8 won't be going anywhere - not only is it heavy in itself but it bolted down to a tonne of concrete going a couple of feet plus into the ground :D  THe obsy is bolted down to rather smaller 18" cube concrete blocks - 6 in all.  The roof is attached to the main obsy framework by a half inch steel gate latch and matching eye bolt screwed into the framework on the windward side and a half inch aluminium rod gointo the corner post in the SE corner.  I think it's pretty secure.

It was exceptionally windy here around 4am to 6am today though it's calm again now.  I looked out of the window at 4:30-ish and it was beautifully clear, too.  No chance of getting outside, sadly.

James

Archived