WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back home, packed away and cup of tea in hand before heading to bed. The cloud didn't clear until late, but myself, Woozy, Jim, Eric, Mark and Adam had a pleasant chat whilst we waited in anticipation of clearer skies. We did not have any visitors, however we had a good chat with a dog walker, who had seen some WADAS members observing there a few months ago. I don't think anyone got any really productive viewing or imaging done as the clouds descended again as soon as they had cleared. Managed to get focus on Jupiter and its moons with Adams QHY, so at least one good thing was achieved. Hopefully we'll be able to get together again soon :)

For all concerned about the outreach event at Middlestown school on Friday the 18th March. This is the address:

24 Cross Rd, Middlestown, Wakefield WF4 4QE

Sorry it took a while Soupy.

thanks

10 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Back home, packed away and cup of tea in hand before heading to bed. The cloud didn't clear until late, but myself, Woozy, Jim, Eric, Mark and Adam had a pleasant chat whilst we waited in anticipation of clearer skies. We did not have any visitors, however we had a good chat with a dog walker, who had seen some WADAS members observing there a few months ago. I don't think anyone got any really productive viewing or imaging done as the clouds descended again as soon as they had cleared. Managed to get focus on Jupiter and its moons with Adams QHY, so at least one good thing was achieved. Hopefully we'll be able to get together again soon :)

Its a shame you didnt get anyone going, but i looked outside about 6:30 and asw it was very cloudy so i guess that stopped people from turning up.

is anyone fancying a trip out this evening- as its looking clear and there is a good chance of some aurora tonight.

unfortunately cant do winscarr as i;m on call and need phone reception and i am struggling for places to go thats fairly secluded around wakefield area.

Does anyone know of anywhere over nostell priory way where we can park up a few cars or anywhere else local(ish) that would have phone reception?

16 minutes ago, nicks90 said:

is anyone fancying a trip out this evening- as its looking clear and there is a good chance of some aurora tonight.

unfortunately cant do winscarr as i;m on call and need phone reception and i am struggling for places to go thats fairly secluded around wakefield area.

Does anyone know of anywhere over nostell priory way where we can park up a few cars or anywhere else local(ish) that would have phone reception?

im only 10 minutes from nostell nick, but i wont be able to come out till later as my wife is out from 7 so ive got to stop in and out the kids to bed :)  having said that, ive not really explored the nostell area for parking up with the telescope. ill have a think and see if i can think of anywhere. 

been up to reccy springmill golf course overflow car park and I think its ok for a bit of casual observing.

horizons arent brilliant, it'll have light pollution from ossett and wakefield, BUT - there are no direct street lights that I can see and it should be ok for a bit of local viewing. Plus as its shielded from ossett and wakey, it should theoretically be better than the cricket club at overton where you have to look directly over the lights.

So as its forecast for being clear tonight with the possibility of aurora, anyone fancy meeting up there about 8.30 tonight?

picture attached of map and car park.

springmill car park.jpg

44 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

i think that should be an ok place nick, i used to go through there on lunchtime walks as i worked on the industrial estate behind there. not sure if ill make it out tonight though, or what time

Back of my house faces onto the overspill car park  for Springmill Golf course & Nature area, maybe ok, whether its better than Overton I wouldn't like to say though, but North Viewing is good although there you have the building to contend with for anything lower alt.,  , East is not bad, West is not good, South is ok, well that's from 300yds away to my Patio lol.

I would certainly go tonight but I am at Gains this evening collecting my 'Goodies'.

Eric  

ps: Stop Press  just spotted next door but one neighbour has a Celestron 130 eq set up on his patio, Competition bring it on lol

15 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Back of my house faces onto the overspill car park  for Springmill Golf course & Nature area, maybe ok, whether its better than Overton I wouldn't like to say though, but North Viewing is good although there you have the building to contend with for anything lower alt.,  , East is not bad, West is not good, South is ok, well that's from 300yds away to my Patio lol.

I would certainly go tonight but I am at Gains this evening collecting my 'Goodies'.

Eric  

ps: Stop Press  just spotted next door but one neighbour has a Celestron 130 eq set up on his patio, Competition bring it on lol

Lol maybe he can help me out haha!

wont be bothering with springmill again - horrible.

it could have been the moisture in the atmosphere, but it was orange nearly all way round up to 40 deg. Seemed worse than my back yard which has streetlights (albeit not in direct view) within 100 yards.

Terrible.

So come home in disgust and now watching telly.

Adam, did look at that place when i was perusing places nearby on google maps - but i couldnt quite see where to park and unload my gear other than on that sandbank looking spit into the lake and didnt know where it would sink or not. 

I was chatting to Gain a little while ago and telling him how bright and orange the sky is over Ossett and Horbury tonight. Not had a very successful evening myself. Going to go back out shortly to try to get my QHY camera to focus through the guide scope. Had to come in for a while to spend some time with the family. Sky is not good my way which is annoying as it is apparently very clear further towards Huddersfield over where Soupy and Gain are. Hope they get some results tonight :)

14 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

I was chatting to Gain a little while ago and telling him how bright and orange the sky is over Ossett and Horbury tonight. Not had a very successful evening myself. Going to go back out shortly to try to get my QHY camera to focus through the guide scope. Had to come in for a while to spend some time with the family. Sky is not good my way which is annoying as it is apparently very clear further towards Huddersfield over where Soupy and Gain are. Hope they get some results tonight :)

Sky looked ok from Gains place

Sounds like people had a pretty bad night by the sounds of it. The sky was a little hazy up Middlestown, but the atmosphere was actually very good last night compared to how it has been lately! I ended up having a very successful evening!

I was imaging Jupiter over the space of 2 hours from about 10.15 until about 12.45 and caught the double transit lovely! I got the moons IO and Europa before they came across the disk and managed to stay up late enough so they were both over the disk before I called it a night. I kinda wished I'd stayed up until the small hours and caught the full transit but wasn't brave enough to be knackered all day at work lol!

I did a quick half arsed process on one of the first avi's on the fly and pulled some nice band details out. The moons looked great also. Im really looking forward to processing the other images. I think they're going to look pretty good. Fingers crossed ??

12 hours ago, adam_sage said:

This place in ardsleyScreen Shot 2016-03-07 at 19.44.16.png

I live 10 minutes walk from here there is no wear to park close to the water so you would have to carry all hour gear about quarter of a mile. The bank is very firm when it's there sit can de very wet as the level goes up and down.

Light pollution can be bad as they have just opens the new cop shop at j41 with a huge car park covered with lights that are on all night. 

Also the new lights that they have installed on the m1 are really bright they have put them in due to the police using the m1 so much. It's a safety thing don't you know 

52 minutes ago, nicks90 said:

no way i'm carrying a 12" dob quarter of a mile!!!

oh well. the search continues for a local secluded site.

You could always use my back garden Nick ;)

Archived