NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BIG, Big thanks to Damian and Vicky for this afternoons outreach event at Middlestown school. It turned out to be really enjoyable. I thought the kids were going to mount my scope at one point and start riding it around the hall!! ??

Seriously though, thanks very much. We definitely stirred a lot of interest in the hobby and in WADAS. We may even have a few potential future members. On of which has just bought her 22 year old son the same scope as mine and it sounds like he is very interested in joining us, so let's hope he does.

??

OK, here it is - M51 The Whirlpool Galaxy imaged on 17.03.2016

My very first attempt at DSO astrophotography using Atik 16IC-S monochrome CCD on William Optics FLT-110 F7 refractor, guided with QHY5L-II camera

14 x 120 second subs, stacked in DSS and cropped in PS Elements 11

Quite pleased with this one and it's got me off the starting blocks - thank you Gain @cosmicbug for all your encouragement and support. I couldn't have done it without you :)

M51The Whirlpool Galaxy 17.03.2016.jpg

Hi Vicky,

Well done on the images, I particularly like the M51 image. Keep at it.Don't listen to anything that that Damian bloke says. He is always too busy trying to eat pies, curries and what ever he can get into his mouth.

8 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Vicky,

Well done on the images, I particularly like the M51 image. Keep at it.Don't listen to anything that that Damian bloke says. He is always too busy trying to eat pies, curries and what ever he can get into his mouth.

Ha ha I like it 

I'm still in practice for the Galloway pie eating competition mustn't lose this time lol 

Hi Vicky,

Thank you. I am happy how the M51 came out and chose not to process and leave it with a "softer" look. Haven't started with processing properly yet, so didn't want to spoil what I thought was a reasonable image. 

As for Damian's pie eating habits, well, we can't fault that, especially when he bought us all huge tasty sausage rolls yesterday afternoon :)

Hi Vicky,

Ps the sausage rolls went down lovely yesterday yummy! 

I am hereby  informing Mike, originator of the pie eating, that there are possibly some nefarious goings on in progress. It is supposed to be for armature pie eaters, not professional pie scoffers!

We may have to knobble  penalise Damian's efforts on the day!

The officials will have to decide forthwith and with prejudice. (Note to others, Ian,  no cheating allowed). Practicing beforehand is not allowed beyond normal pie scoffing.

Derek

Archived