NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Atik cameras with integrated filter wheel

FLO

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QSI have been doing this a long time with their cameras as well as incorporating off axis guiding.  SBIG now doing same so it's not really genius but catch up.  Will be interested to see whether there are other developments to the camera design and pricing esp with the monster chip.  

Indeed QSI are front-runners with this technology - however they have not yet released their QSI 729 model, which uses the 29 mega-pixel KAI-29050 chip, it's forthcoming but not yet available. Look at the prices on their website though, $8,995 entry for just the CCD alone, and you have to pay extra if you want the integrated QSI filter wheel. QSI have a reputation for excellence, so to some extent you get what you pay for. However, if Atik can get there in a timely way with a good quality, reliable and cheaper version of this CCD (plus integrated filter wheel) it could be a winner.

Martin

Olly: That is ocean you see, there was a bit of ground below the cliff as it was taken at Portland Bill. Most of the climbing on the south coast was done on Swannage Limestone, Cornish Granite or the wonderful Lundy Island; I loved sea cliff climbing.

FLO: I'm guessing weights, size dimensions, power, filter wheel info and fan noise measurements are not out yet ?

Olly: That is ocean you see, there was a bit of ground below the cliff as it was taken at Portland Bill. Most of the climbing on the south coast was done on Swannage Limestone, Cornish Granite or the wonderful Lundy Island; I loved sea cliff climbing.

FLO: I'm guessing weights, size dimensions, power, filter wheel info and fan noise measurements are not out yet ?

Aha, so we are not witnessing a call of nature here??? I'm - ah - much relieved...

I'm a great admirer of QSI design and build, but I'm also a great admirer of Atik who get it consistently right at very reasonable prices. If they can get a nice long way under 9000 bucks I think we'll all be relieved.

:grin: lly

We don't have that info yet but I have a feeling we won't need to wait long before Atik release details :smiley: 

Olly with an electrical filter wheel.... sounds like Magic Olly id steer well clear ;)

Heh heh, I've had one for years but never really trusted it so I stopped using it. Now I have the EFW2 and do actually like it! Amazing. I even use the sequencer...  :eek:

Olly

These look interesting, but aren't for me. But to all you eager upgraders waiting to get your hands on one, I have cash waiting for your old generation Atiks :D

Oh yes?  How much would you pay for a 314L+ ?

I guess Steve will need his for longer to make up for Olly's skies. Then again, how about giving a real rank amatuer a go.....hint hint :D.

You don't seriously think that either Steve or I would relinquish one of these things once we'd got our snappers on one? 29 megapixels, like diamonds, are forever.

Anyway, are you suggesting that my images are dependent on my good sky? Let me tell you, dear Sir, they are the product of skill, daring and a reckless defiance of death!

Olly

I had a very good look at the 29050 camera and like the design very much. They've tried to get the weight down in a very aesthetic way that looks like it actually adds strength.

The double fan system feeds into a funnel design that flows across the cooler back plate and not straight at it.

For the size of camera and filter wheel, they seem to have a fairly light package. With the sheer bulk of the chip, wheel and cooler there will always be an over hang but it didn't feel awkward.

The plugs look good.

Best of all, I over estimated the aim price point.

I suggested they fitted mounting lugs if they want to sell one to me. They said they were looking into that addition :)

A good over all product that will give QSI a run for their money.

Dave.

Archived