sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

New Atik cameras with integrated filter wheel

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve wouldn't be interested. He hates that kind of thing. On the other hand a full frame 29 MP camera would be just fine and dandy thank you VERY much indeed... lly

It put a maniacal grimace on mine ............. To be honest, I'm not sure that Olly is qualified to review a piece of kit as sophisticated as this - I mean, he cycles and drives a Panda so technolog

We met with Atik at Kelling where they were showing prototypes of a new family of cameras with integrated filter wheels.  They will compliment the existing range of Atik cameras, not replace them.  We

Posted Images

Specs are already on the Artemis site, no?  What else do you need to know?

Off the top of my head, price, filter size/number compatibility, backfocus, what the second camera alluded to above is, new Kodak version timeframe, OAG information, which sensors are in the first consumer (not OEM) release .... 

Off the top of my head, price, filter size/number compatibility, backfocus, what the second camera alluded to above is, new Kodak version timeframe, OAG information, which sensors are in the first consumer (not OEM) release .... 

Fair enough, good point!

• Like 1

My thought is it is a small chip with small pixels and a big price tag.  Might be good for planetary imagers, but there are much cheaper guide cameras out there.

If buying stand-alone for guiding, can't see why you would favour this over a QHY5-II, QHY6 (both cheaper and with bigger pixels and chip area) or a SX Lodestar (bit more expensive but bigger chip area and much bigger pixels).  Bigger pixels are (generally) more sensitive and provided you keep within a reasonable pixel scale vs your imaging camera there is no need to go for tiny pixels.

Maybe the integration with the Atik capture software will sell it.  Now on the other hand if you were buying it with the new imager in the opening offer bundle, an extra £100 for this guider and the OAG is definitely a bargain (assuming the 6 turns out to be a good camera).

Edited by IanL

My thought is it is a small chip with small pixels and a big price tag.  Might be good for planetary imagers, but there are much cheaper guide cameras out there.

If buying stand-alone for guiding, can't see why you would favour this over a QHY5-II, QHY6 (both cheaper and with bigger pixels and chip area) or a SX Lodestar (bit more expensive but bigger chip area and much bigger pixels).  Bigger pixels are (generally) more sensitive and provided you keep within a reasonable pixel scale vs your imaging camera there is no need to go for tiny pixels.

Maybe the integration with the Atik capture software will sell it.  Now on the other hand if you were buying it with the new imager in the opening offer bundle, an extra £100 for this guider and the OAG is definitely a bargain (assuming the 6 turns out to be a good camera).

My main aimis to get a good planetary camera

It seems the sensor has good reviews

As per my earlier ponderings:

Price - bundle is stunning (at least the intro price is, final price will define it more I think) camera alone, good price but almost QSI level

Filter size/number - If I have this right the only carousel offered is 5x1.25

Backfocus - confusing this one, Atik were quoting 15mm ... but look at the flange on the front ... plus the internal back focus for the FW ... plus they said this 15mm may vary (design not finalised) ... plus this version appears to use the Atik external OAG ... I think they will come in under 55mm but it's not firmed up yet

What the second camera alluded to above is - well it's the GP, the guider - this doesn't use the same chip as the Lodestar and is being marketed as a guider/planetary ...

New Kodak version timeframe - Atik themselves were saying things along the lines of it's been pushed back because they're not sure about the Kodak chip

OAG information - as above, external standard one

Which sensors are in the first consumer (not OEM) release - 694 (Atik 460)

In addition to earlier - USB2 NOT USB3 (as per the Artemis ones) plus the hub functionality which is nice :) plus a delta cooling now of -35!

I think it's a great package, at a great (intro) price for the whole bundle.

I think if you're buying the camera alone ... for £200 more you'd go for the QSI 660ws-5 (which I concede is also on introductory pricing) ... and then talk yourself into getting the wsg :lol:

Just doing the sums ... the Atik One 6.0, Atik GP and Atik OAG Kit combo is £2550, versus £2,969 for the QSI 660 wsg-5 equivalent - so £420 less expensive.    Not as pretty and integrated as the QSI (IMHO) and almost certainly not as great cooling capacity, but it does have an integrated USB 2.0 hub which the QSI does not have.

The new Atik GP guide cam has a 6mm diagonal and 3.75um pixels, versus the Lodestar 8mm diagonal and 8.2um pixels ... if I'm reading the Sony datasheets correctly.

Edited by AlistairHowie

Hmm.. my 5 position SX wheel with OAG is great but for one thing... I wish it had 7 slots in an automated obsy.. so thats put me off this one.

Looks a good deal if you need the bundle though.

I see there's a nice 460 appeared earlier on AB&S.. I wonder if he's going to upgrade.. ;):rolleyes:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Hmm.. my 5 position SX wheel with OAG is great but for one thing... I wish it had 7 slots in an automated obsy.. so thats put me off this one.

Looks a good deal if you need the bundle though.

I see there's a nice 460 appeared earlier on AB&S.. I wonder if he's going to upgrade.. ;):rolleyes:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

"He" upgraded in January ;)

I very nearly splurged £ 2.5K on the QHY22 and filter wheel recently, same 694 sensor, but certainly not as nicely integrated despite the better cooling - I'm having some difficulty resisting the pull.............. 

Although I think the QHY did include a set of Baader 2" LRGB filters which is still £ 350, so not a very fair comparison.

Edited by SnakeyJ

Hmm planetary cam … mmmmm … makes a solar cam too… mmmmm …. 30fps I assume on USB2?

Trying to wangle.. err negotiate with Sandrine (i.e. suggest an arts&crafts expo visit) .. so I may say hello if FLO are around on sat.

• Like 1

..... but certainly not as nicely integrated despite the better cooling - I'm having some difficulty resisting the pull.............. 

Do you know the cooling information? I've not found it on the FLO site. The Artemis site says -35 but that's it. Please tell me if you know differently :)

Do you know the cooling information? I've not found it on the FLO site. The Artemis site says -35 but that's it. Please tell me if you know differently :)

From the horses (Atik's) mouth today :) Though I've just been corrected and my contact thought she was told -39 :o So it's at least -35 for sure

Ahh FLO:

To ensure you have a place in the queue to receive an Atik One 6.0 Mono Camera, Atik GP and Atik OAG Kit please select the £250 'pre-order deposit' option. We will keep you regularly updated then will contact you for balance of payment and to arrange delivery when the mounts arrive. We will also watch competitor's prices carefully and adjust ours where necessary so the final price you pay will be competitive. Promise :-)

So ATIK is making mounts too ;) hehe - hope they're direct drive!

• 3 weeks later...

The new Atik One camera shown at Astrofest was a pre-production model. The camera will go into production next week so we should receive our first delivery around the middle of March. We should have enough to cover existing backorders, possibly more. 

When the first of the productions models is built Atik will be able to measure then release specifications. When we have those we will update our website and post details here at SGL :smiley:

HTH, 

Steve