Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you use your tripod eyepiece tray...

ibraidwo

Tripod eyepiece tray...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you use the eyepiece tray on your tripod for holding your eyepieces when observing?

• Yes - always
    • Occasionally
    • Never
    • I don't have an tripod eyepiece tray

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends which scope is being used and what's the eyepiece. With the 4" I always use the tray but wouldn't slot the Delos into it for fear of scratching the barrel. With the 10", I don't have a tray and prefer to either pick them from the case and put them back or else put them to one side on a wooden board which cunningly triples as a mirror protector when dismantling the dob and as a steardy lid for the telescope when putting everything away and going home. I only get the one vote, so I'm going for occasionally :smiley:

Usually when I go out for visual observing I have 2 or 3 eyepieces in my pockets...If I have 2" ones my pockets make me look like I have two large bellies sideways :D and sometimes put a bunch in the kitchen as it's the closest to the garden :)

The tripod tray that comes with my celestar , I do use and find to be useful for caps, some eyepieces, the 1.25" diagonal adapter. However like Michael, I usually have a small table set up to for the eyepiece case.

The eyepiece rack that comes with the 300p, I only use to slot my focuser cap in and prefer to use a camping table.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far....

• Weights (sand, bricks, clock weights)
  • Food (sandwiches, jaffa cakes, pot noodle)
  • End caps

...and sometimes eyepieces!

Anything else kept on them that hasn't been mentioned so far?

Usually when I go out for visual observing I have 2 or 3 eyepieces in my pockets...If I have 2" ones my pockets make me look like I have two large bellies sideways :D

I was thinking of getting a 'fishing type' waistcoat to keep eyepieces safe when switching between them, as I'm forever slipping eye pieces and caps in various trouser pockets....

I use mine for carrying the tripod! On my EQ6AZ its a better height for me and easier to hold than the mount itself - so I stagger across the patio with the tripod held just a couple of inches off the floor....

Helen

The thought had occurred to me to make a small mod for the heritage 130p as it doesn't have one. Can you get them separately ?, or I suppose I could get one made or attempt to make one myself, it would not be hard to fix it onto dob mount.

I think that you could do a lot with a router drill bit and a wooden tray. My Dob ep holders are useful, but the tripod ones usually end up holding plastic end caps and the polarscope cover. I 'd like a neat holder right next to the focuser instead of searching around !

Nick.

I think that you could do a lot with a router drill bit and a wooden tray. My Dob ep holders are useful, but the tripod ones usually end up holding plastic end caps and the polarscope cover. I 'd like a neat holder right next to the focuser instead of searching around !

Nick.

Good idea, for some reason as I was typing that I was thinking about a small metal L shaped plate and drill some holes, but of course any old wood would do and easier. End of week, Friday, I think my brain is a bit sluggish today :D

Archived