Hello Stargazers - New to Astronomy, starting with a vintage scope

hgriffin1

Hello All,

I am new to astronomy. I was inspired when I crossed paths with a vintage telescope, a Criterion RV-6 Dynascope. I went to a garage sale a couple weeks ago and came across the RV-6 which was in poor condition. It was cheap so I couldn't pass it up as I have always wanted a nice telescope. I was pleased to find that this scope has a very good reputation and information has been relatively easy to come by. I am now in the process of restoring it. It was missing a few parts and had some corrosion issues, worn paint, and mirrors in need of resurfacing. I have taken care of the corrosion (wire wheel, buff, and powder coat of external parts), sanded the scope tube and applied three coats of paint to the exterior and reflocked the interior. Lastly, I have boxed up the mirrors and will be sending them off to be resurfaced this week. I am in the process of putting together a set of eyepieces from a few sources and should have them in hand when the scope is back together. Looking forward to getting this thing out into the night sky!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, and welcome to SGL. I don't know much about your scope but there's bound to be plenty of help on here if you need it. Just ask. It sounds like an interesting project, let us know how you get on.

Good luck and clear skies :smiley:

Jason

Good god!!!

You sound organised. :eek: :eek:

Hope the mirror comes back in good condition, out of interest where are you sending it to?

Occasionally someone in the US asks about getting a mirror recoated and may be useful to keep a record of a few.

Welcome!

How bad is the mirror affected?

Even some damaged/dull areas won't affect the view much (and resurfacing can cost more then a new one...)

Also: Where are the pictures? ;-)

Is that a 6" (I just quickly looked via google)? It will give nice views of most Messier Objects, Planets and such, great telescope, much better then all the small starter telescopes.

Keep us posted! Good luck and have fun with the telescope!

Hi HGriffin1,

welcome to SGL from me as well - very interesting history, that I've just googled on the Criterion RV6 - I would have thought this was worth some effort on the restoration front, though possibly more of a collectors/interest piece. Still certain that it should give some nice views once collimated, provided the optics are ok.

Sure there'll be a fair bit of interest in this one, so please post some pics and perhaps a restoration thread on this.

Clear Skies - Jake

Archived