Hello! Another new recruit!

Scopemaster

Hey everyone!

I'm a dentist who got into astronomy in a big way when a star-size comparison chart came up on the facebook page "I ... love science!" This led me onto watching videos comparing the various planet and star sizes, galaxies and nebulae and I've been hooked ever since!

I build my knowledge base through reading the net and a few books I have at home and I also have some Celestron 10 x 30-50 binoculars which I try to make the most of. Once I feel confident in my knowledge, know the skymap well and learn from you guys and my local astronomy club which I'm in the process of joining, I passionately hope to buy a telescope later this year, most probably a Newtonian reflector where I can start astrophotography for which I'll buy a DSLR later ;)

Looking forward to learning from everybody, best wishes :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Scopemaster. I'm still fairly new to this but I've found this forum invaluable for help and advice. The breadth and depth of experience on here is amazing, and advice is always freely given. It would be nice to see the results of your astro photography at some time in the future. It's something I feel I am being slowly drawn towards, but astronomy can be a long learnnig curve and I have only got a few steps along the way.

Good luck and clear skies :smiley:

Jason

Hi Scopemaster and welcome to SGL. If you are intending to venture into the world of AP with a new scope and camera, it would be worthwhile obtaining a copy of Steve Richards book " Making Every Photon Count" see FLO at the top of the page, before you spend anything on equipment, as this will give you the very information you need on the type of instruments and mounts used in this field and could avoid you investing in something which you later find would not be practical for the purpose, just a thought. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi Scopemaster,

Welcome to SGL - a very useful place to cut your teeth if you'll excuse a work related pun. I'll second Jason.P's post - being in a very similar position as a relative newcomer myself. I've found this forum extremely useful, very friendly and often my first port of call if I want help and advice. Don't be afraid to ask or join in the discussions and sure there will be plenty of people willing to chip in with advice when you come to researching that first scope.

Clear skies - Jake

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might like to consider (as part of your research into astronomy) a book by Steve Richards called "Making Every Photon Count" which is a great book on all things to do with imaging and essentially what kit you need to produce good consistent images. It's important to have this overview before you buy any kit in order to avoid making mistakes as equipment that work well for imaging isn't necessarily the best equipment to use for observing (...and is a good excuse to own more than one scope!) but this book will certainly help you with any future kit considerations for sure.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Archived