Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Minimal astro spending.

cotterless45

Mainly due to the useless seeing conditions this winter , I had a think about all the gear I'd like but probably won't use. This has resulted in the wallet being mainly shut.

So far this year £12 spent on a second hand accessory bar and £5 for sketching stuff.

It'll take a lot to tempt me, don't be trying it !

Nick.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking a downgrade is in order, free up some cash tied up in the hobby. Thinking of dropping down to just the ST120 on the AZ4 and selling everything else. Put the money into trying my hand at daytime photography instead. Or just buy a really nice flatpanel LED TV.

I feel sorry for all of you. I know the weather in England can be nice but it seems to get worse ever year. When I was in England last year in May which was for about 18 days it rained in Hull every day bar one and I think I can remember seeing one clear sky before mid-night.

I am not even sure I would bother with astronomy if I were still living in Hull, well more to the point buying an expensive instrument. I think I would, if at all buy a secondhand Dobsonian for the amount of sky time it would see. Even in August and early September when I had to re-visit I only recall 3 clear nights and more rain, I had promised to bring good weather too.

Alan.

I tend to keep the interest going with projects but agree it's very frustrating. I generally have to sell something to buy something as money is a bit tight as with most people at the minute. Last year I sold a small dob to fund the purchase of a 12" f4 tube which I'll convert to my main travel scope in due course. This year I have bought a £40 Hb SW filter plus £50 on a used TV 11mm Plossl (birthday pressie) and that will pretty much be it I think.

Currently I am recovering from a hernia op so whilst I do wish the weather would improve for everyone else, I am personally in a way relieved that it's not great currently - the temptation to try and lug out the big dob might be too great!

Owning a Ferrari would be better value for money.

I'm not going to buy one, mind :grin:

Regards.

Owning a scope in England (or the Netherlands for that matter) is very much like owning a Ferrari in those same countries: In principle you can see lots with the scope, but the weather prevents you from doing so, and in principle the Ferrari can do 200 mph, but the law prevents you from doing so (responsibly). At least we sometimes get clear skies (of course, from the Netherlands I can drive to Germany (55km from my home) and let rip on the autobahn).

Our Espace can go as fast as a Ferrari can (legally), and it can take my scopes to dark places (not much chance in a Ferrari). And then of course there is this Espace version, more suitable for autobahn speeds:

I feel sorry for all of you.

Do I sense a slight schadenfreude? You're not "ex-pat of Alicante" from Daily Mail comments? [teasing] :D

Astronomy in the UK is never easy. If you're young and fit, UK limitations are "character building"? Heheh. No romantic here, but a recent convert to my local astronomy society. We give inspiring talks! OK, it USUALLY rains, but I think it worthwhile to get folks (kids) interested in astronomy. Who knows, one day, they may move... to Bulgaria? :p

We still have dark skies and (occasionally) reasonable weather. Sadly, I feel the main problem with the UK is overcrowding and... FEAR! I find myself constantly "negotiating" with neighbours re. *rogue* "security lights". I think it is the latter, that may ultimately defeat me, but... ;)

The last big spend on hardware (Not counting "Making Every Photon count" and "The Cambridge Star Atlas") was at Astrofest, an Astronomik CLS filter and a cross-hair eyepiece for drft aligning. I don't expect to spend anything more for a good 6 months or more.

Now on a prelimanary look for somewhere dark and cheap to retire to in about 3-4 yrs.

I'm considering spending around £700 on a second hand NEQ6 and to be honest, I'm wondering why the hell I'm considering it. I just keep looking up at the miserable, cloud-filled sky and thinking the mount's just going to sit there for months on end without any use.

I know how you all feel,ive managed 4.0hrs of clear skies since early Dec 2012.I,m not spending any more on this hobby,at least for the time being.All my equipment just sits there night after night.as i gaze endlessly at totally INCORRECT forecasts.

Well I had earmarked funds for an ED100 and a 27mm Panoptic this year, but you can't count on the unexpected and I have had to replace both our TV and my bicycle. So that has taken care of that :( I have bought a nice new down jacket to keep me warm while observing / imaging so I can count that as an astro purchase. I am also considering getting an ES 28mm 68° in place of a second hand 27mm Pan.

I really don't even think about the money I have tied up in kit. It's there for when I want / can use it. The knowledge that I could use it (if was clear) is somehow quite comforting.

I think the last thing i bought was back in Oct/Nov 2012. It was a sheet of Baader solar film. I really cant think of anything i want or need to buy in 2013.

I pretty much have anything i want/need for observing or imaging.

I do not even pretend that any more, I just know I will want something bigger/better/faster

I'm trying not to spend anymore for a while. Since I changed my signature to warn people, things have been looking up. Doesn't stop the temptation from being there, but I know I've got good kit that I just need to go out and use :).

one of the often forgotten benefits of buying the best quality (Televue, Pentax, etc) used is that it will always sell quickly if priced right and if you get bored/need to sell. therefore I don't see it so much as money tied up in gear but money which has bought something that brings me great enjoyment that I can use for as long as I like and if looked after and bought at the right price can be sold again at virtually no loss. there's not much you can say that about these days.

one of the often forgotten benefits of buying the best quality (Televue, Pentax, etc) used is that it will always sell quickly if priced right and if you get bored/need to sell. therefore I don't see it so much as money tied up in gear but money which has bought something that brings me great enjoyment that I can use for as long as I like and if looked after and bought at the right price can be sold again at virtually no loss. there's not much you can say that about these days.

That's one unfortunate thing I've noticed about some things that their price deteriorates very quickly - dobsonians often lose a lot of their value very quickly, and, whilst my Vixen LV is superb optically, it's lost a lot of it's value! (I think I got it for about 30-35% of it's RRP).

Archived