Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Minimal astro spending.

cotterless45

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have bought a telrad this year from FLO, but I'm really waiting for the right used eyepieces to come around. I'm in no hurry and I quite like trawling the used ads. Although I am annoyed at missing the 10" mirror on astroboot. Although another will surely turn up. :smiley:

I really don't even think about the money I have tied up in kit. It's there for when I want / can use it. The knowledge that I could use it (if was clear) is somehow quite comforting.

This is exactly how I feel about it. :)

I also make full use of those clear skies when the arrive and even though it has been a terrible winter I've still clocked up a fair few hours observing.

When it is cloudy I'm usually reading and learning more about astronomy so as a hobby it works out very well !

I'm considering spending around £700 on a second hand NEQ6 and to be honest, I'm wondering why the hell I'm considering it. I just keep looking up at the miserable, cloud-filled sky and thinking the mount's just going to sit there for months on end without any use.

Good for hats & heavy jackets, could also probably support two primary school satchels (minus hardback picture books)

Steve

I do not even pretend that any more, I just know I will want something bigger/better/faster

As you well know, i have the scope of my dreams (biggest and best one i can handle...........i even named it after you). I have all the filters,dew heating system i possibly need for my sessions.

At this moment in time, i honestly can not think of a single thing i need/want for my visual/imaging sessions.

Never say never....................i agree.......................but right now i cant think of anything.

Suggestions/ideas welcome.

I have bought a telrad this year from FLO, but I'm really waiting for the right used eyepieces to come around. I'm in no hurry and I quite like trawling the used ads. Although I am annoyed at missing the 10" mirror on astroboot. Although another will surely turn up. :smiley:

Be comforted by the knowledge that someone else on SGL got it (not me, I hasten to add). I think AstroBoot has had at least four 10" mirrors go through in the last twelve months, so there's sure to be another along in the relatively near future.

James

So far this year I have splashed out on a roll of gaffa tape to re-enforce the edging of a section cut out from a foam dew shield. I anticipate that my only other spend this year will be on petrol (costly enough) to darker destinations away from Tyneside. When the next opportunity for that will present itself though is anyones guess, my kit is beginning to look a little too domesticated.

Be comforted by the knowledge that someone else on SGL got it (not me, I hasten to add). I think AstroBoot has had at least four 10" mirrors go through in the last twelve months, so there's sure to be another along in the relatively near future.

James

I am comforted by your soothing words........not. :Envy::grin:

The rubbish weather this winter combined with the lack of an obsy has put me off the idea of a fancy pants CCD, but it did make getting a solar scope seem like a good idea, with the idea of hopefully increasing the amount of observing we can do during the year. Now I notice how you can go an entire weekend without a single gap in the clouds during the day! :-o

I did get a cracking night of observing the other week though that makes it all seem worthwhile, with my best ever view of M51.

I've recently got involved with this game and owing to a leg in a cast it has been ideal for doing lots of reading and learning, however much like everyone else I've had very little observing time.

Has this winter been particularly bad compared to normal? I've nothing to compare it with.

Archived