Hi from Yorkshire

Nephalem

Hi All,

I have loved astronomy as a kid when I used to spend time with my dad and uncle star gazing with them in a totally dark sky!. I also have memories with my dad and borther on our lawn at 2am staring at meteor showers :-)

Now a lot older I have the funds to get a scope and currently doing loads of research on what to get. I am wanting to look for DSO mainly with a view to doing Astrophotography in the future.

Im so glad i stumbled across this forum as there seems to be stacks of great information here :-) Looking forward to being part of the forum.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL, I have only just started myself with astronomy and in the few weeks I have been a member I have picked lots up on here, one nice program if you don’t have it installed I will recommend googling for Stellarium it free and very good for finding your way around the heavens.

Jim

Welcome to SGL

Definitely read "Making Every Photon Count" if you're interested in astrophotography. It's hard to find a setup that will do both visual and AP well so you may need to make some compromises once you've had a read and given some thought to what approach you're going to take. That or you buy two telescopes :) Two's not that many at all, really. Honest.

James

Hi Nephalem and welcome to SGL, if you are wanting to go down the DSO route with AP in the future, then the first recommended step, as has been mentioned, is to obtain a copy Steve`s book, whatever system you end up with, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hello Nephalem, welcome to SGL, if you can get over to the Astronomy Centre we can offer advice and show you through a few telescopes to help you appreciate sizes and performance prior to making any future investment. :smiley:

Thank you so much Peter....strangely was going to make a trip out this Saturday to yourselves, but decided against it due to the weather. Are you still open Saturdays evenings if the weather is still poor ? Also are you open during the day ?

Cheers.

Archived