Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

460ex first light, fast and dirty M42 (ha/Oiii/Sii)

Tim

I have treated myself to a few new bits and bobs lately, and wanted to try them out, but the clouds were rolling in. So just grabbed a few 60 second subs in Ha and Oiii, and 90 seconds in Sii on a familiar target. I had recently done this without the reducer and with a 428ex, and wanted to see the difference in FOV in real terms.

And here it is, yes its noisy, but so what, It's an image from a cloudy night, and it used no less than 3 bits of new kit to take it!

Surprisingly (to me anyway), the stars really stand out and sparkle using the Sii filter, hence the big pink halos around them

I haven't collimated the scope after moving it from obsy to house and back again, as I am waiting on a Hutech Ct collimator for it, so I know the collimation isn't right, but even so the Edge gave a good clean trapezium.

Have a look at the centre of the F10 image, very pleased with the split of the stars there, including the E star, and more than a hint of a split in the close pairing of the F star, along with the G and H's. Subs were just 1.5 seconds on this one and taken on my EQ6.

Separate images attached for reference/playing with, and the previous attempt in Ha only.

C11edgeHD + 0.7 reducer, Atik 460ex binned 2x2, theoretical image scale around 0.46 arcsec/pixel

Thanks for looking

Tim

post-1391-0-73610600-1358534577_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-10253600-1358534868_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-40696600-1358534997_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-88729500-1358535049_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-33064000-1358535703_thumb.jp

Narrowband would be a lot more fun if every target was as bright as M42 :)

But you are right, a decent Ha filter and mono camera will effectively double your sky time, when you factor in that clear nights nearly always coincide with a full moon!

I was joking when I said from your description that it sounded as though you'd got the g,h... and also i,j and k. I don't think I've ever seen as many trapezium stars in an image taken from a back garden before!

It looks as though you're going to have a lot of fun with your new "toys"! :smiley:

Thanks Nick. It's just that it looks a little lopsided to me, even in the HST epic photo of the area. Must be an optics thing :)

I'd really really really really like to get something, even a pixel, on that proto-planetary disc discovered in Orion, but am not sure its going to be possible from this country/planet :s

Cheers

Tim

Every time I tidy it Gina I can never find anything. As it is now everything is out on a side or shelf or ledge where it shouldn't be and I can put my hands on most things right away.

When my rig is finalised then I WILL tidy up.......honest ;)

Every time I tidy it Gina I can never find anything. As it is now everything is out on a side or shelf or ledge where it shouldn't be and I can put my hands on most things right away.

I find the same thing - tidy up and I can't find anything :D
When my rig is finalised then I WILL tidy up.......honest ;)
:D

Archived